Motor for an Ultima

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

burdickjp
Re: Motor for an Ultima

Post by burdickjp »

ptuomov wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:06 am So how about LS7 with a cam and custom exhaust for that about 750 hp?
My vote is this with 180 degree exhaust manifolds.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

despite my sbc and bbc complaints, an aluminum LS is a logical choice.....
LSR heads and a an IR setup would make it a killer match for an Ultima.

Id sure like to find out what an 8-4-1 would sound like, thats a tri y where the pairs join and the two secondaries from each side join into a 4-1 collector you know, just for uniqueness.....
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Been there, done BBC back in the bad old days. It takes more work and more money to make one reliable at horsepower than the same dollar pure race engines.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

Have made my choice. Won’t be easy but was the only thing I think I’d be happy with. Promise to come back and post pics when it’s together, may be 9 months or more.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Well what is it?
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

won't be easy.

Hmm

It's a v10.....

Hope its all aluminum and has 10 throttles too
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

j-rho wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:53 pmHave made my choice. Won’t be easy but was the only thing I think I’d be happy with. Promise to come back and post pics when it’s together, may be 9 months or more.
There's a name for girls like you.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

Hahaha, have been accused of that elsewhere too, starting to think there may be some truth to it. #-o

Prize to englertracing! =D>

Going with a Viper V10. Called the fellow who did some work on my last Viper just to talk, turns out he has a complete Gen4 one with ported heads but a bad bearing sitting in a box. Going to have it fully rebuilt by Kevin Singleton of Exotic Engine Development. Kevin has been building Viper engines for decades, dating back to their Le Mans efforts.

Should be able to get at or close to 750 crank hp on 91 with the stock vvt cam.

Fitting it will be a challenge. In research I’ve seen the inline-6 2jz Supra motors fit, and Mercury fit their QC4 DOHC big block, which is even longer than a regular big block. Will have to do some tweaks to the intake manifold setup and the thermostat housing at a minimum. Maybe that means ITB stacks, we’ll see!

People have fit small BMW and Audi V10s and 12s, to my knowledge this will be the first Viper motor in an Ultima.

https://www.facebook.com/22432374427700 ... spmQgR&d=n
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Yeah, but that particular V10 sounds like a wet bag of a$$holes falling down some stairs. Ugh.
DON'T PANIC
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo camino wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:40 pm Yeah, but that particular V10 sounds like a wet bag of a$$holes falling down some stairs. Ugh.
What you dont like the 54 - 90 firing order? Lol
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

englertracing wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 am What you dont like the 54 - 90 firing order? Lol
No. No I do not.

I understand some people do like that sort of thing. Er, what I mean is I understand those people exist, not that I understand why they like it. For the most part they are people who for whatever reason have decided that loud and raunchy = fast. See also: H-D V-twins. And 90* V6's of any crankshaft style, it's just not right, and you can tell it's not right because it sounds unpleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyZntbRDSo

The 90* V10 aficionados probably think that sounds awful.
DON'T PANIC
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

turbo camino wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 am
englertracing wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 am What you dont like the 54 - 90 firing order? Lol
No. No I do not.

I understand some people do like that sort of thing. Er, what I mean is I understand those people exist, not that I understand why they like it. For the most part they are people who for whatever reason have decided that loud and raunchy = fast. See also: H-D V-twins. And 90* V6's of any crankshaft style, it's just not right, and you can tell it's not right because it sounds unpleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyZntbRDSo

The 90* V10 aficionados probably think that sounds awful.
While I agree with you on the Harleys, sounds like someone dumping a load of rocks into a dumpster...... they really actually sound like they are struggling and the owners think they are bad ass..
A 1299 Ducati twin puts out 210hp well over double while idling smoothly.........
A yamaha 1600 v4 makes close to 200 while idling smoothly.... lol

I went to listen to a viper to see what a bag of wet assholes sounds like...
Lol
Um it reminds me of a 5 cylinder which I do love me a 5 cylinder. This one is particularly savage.....
https://youtu.be/ntndz-tSjPM
I think this is just fantastically unique as well
https://youtu.be/Oj2NiyiRKG0
Yeah I've got a thing for 5s
https://youtu.be/qLYo8io6fBA

I think the viper needs a 10-5-1 exhaust,
It will be hard to tell from other v10

On the subject of 10s
https://youtu.be/OvoXleaywPs
IMO these were the best sounding f1 cars of all time
The 12s didn't match in power or sound
The v8s that replaced them sounded weak and flat
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

Most liken them to UPS trucks, but to each their own :lol:

Do have some freedom with the exhaust. Was considering 180 degree headers if I went V8, maybe there is something neat/similar could be done here.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

By 2005 The Merc F1 V10 was a 90* and, not a coincidence, pretty 'meh'. The previous 72* version though...

90* V4 can sound amazing. And then at the opposite extreme there's the Subaru flat 4s and their "oops a plug wire fell off haha" sound makes me want to hurt someone.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Question: If you coupled a pair of Subaru engines together, would it sound like TWO plug wires fell off?

Those things just need to not exist anymore.
DON'T PANIC