SBC Cam Retainer Bolts/Cam Sprocket

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Chevy_Guy1974

SBC Cam Retainer Bolts/Cam Sprocket

Post by Chevy_Guy1974 »

Hello everyone. I’ll apologize for my ignorance ahead of time. I am new to engine building. I have a SBC vortex block with a cam retainer plate. I have a Howard’s Cams cam sprocket with the Torrington bearing on the back side of it. I have the engine almost assembled and everything spins fine and free. When I see the cam retainer plate bolts they are very close to the backside of the cam sprocket. Is this normal? There is about a 1/32th between the head of the bolt and the back of the sprocket. Thank you for your input.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: SBC Cam Retainer Bolts/Cam Sprocket

Post by rebelyell »

? Does the Nose of your camshaft extend thru cam retainer plate AND mate closely into back of cam sprocket ?
GOSFAST
Expert
Expert

Post by GOSFAST »

Chevy_Guy1974 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm Hello everyone. I’ll apologize for my ignorance ahead of time. I am new to engine building. I have a SBC vortex block with a cam retainer plate. I have a Howard’s Cams cam sprocket with the Torrington bearing on the back side of it. I have the engine almost assembled and everything spins fine and free. When I see the cam retainer plate bolts they are very close to the backside of the cam sprocket. Is this normal? There is about a 1/32th between the head of the bolt and the back of the sprocket. Thank you for your input.
The bolt head shouldn't be that close at all UNLESS you have the wrong bolts.

When you post potential problems up here (or on any forum) it's best to supply as many of the part numbers you're using. Most builders up here are very familiar with many of the aftermarket part numbers!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a shot of a BBC showing the typical bolt heads supplied for the thrust-plate mounted plates. SBC's use the same bolts. I'd add here also, we now use the later SBC cam thrust-plates/screws on the early SBC's we build along with the stepped-nose cams. We fabricated and sell the tooling to modify the blocks, no more checking cam end-play or any buttons?

MkIV Block - MkVI Cam Thrust.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sept. 2019 - Drag-Week Winner - New York Street Ride 7.23+ @ 196+ @ 3800#+
Chevy_Guy1974

Post by Chevy_Guy1974 »

Yes, just the nose of the step nose cam protrudes thru and the camshaft post protrudes thru the cam sprocket.
I have the Howard’s Cam Timing Set part number 94300. I used GM bolts (the ones with the torx head) and the Gm Retainer Plate with my block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I have encountered the same thing and have flattened those bolts a little bit on the bench grinder for peace of mind
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Machine a groove on the back of the sprocket. It doesn’t take much
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

FWIW
have a GM service manual for L31.
Cam retainer bolt Install Torque quoted 12 Nm or 106 Ib in with no thread locker.

Doesn't take much force so trim heads as CGT did; perhaps clean threads & a dab of blue locker