Brodix 8 series intake

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Brodix 8 series intake

Post by Lizardracing »

Anyone know if this Brodix Intake is thick enough to drill/tap for an addition water port?
I need another place for the water temp light sensor. My old engine used the side of the head but these heads don't have the port and I'd rather drill the intake than the heads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro
Re: Brodix 8 series intake

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

I would want to weld a bung to the manifold. Might have to pull it to do so but it would be much better than tapping it alone. Especially in a relatively thin area like that.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

You could drill a test hole to check the wall thickness and if it's sufficient, go to the tap drill size and then thread it. If it's too thin, you could then take it off and add a bung. I'd say 1/4" would be more than enough. Depending on the cap, water pressure will likely never exceed maybe 15 psi.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

It's a precision cast item so if you pull that water outlet and check the thinkness on that vertical wall below it, then that's what you have to work with.

If your talking about a sender that uses 1/2" pipe threads then your going to need enough wall thickness to tap / have 3 good threads minimum.

In that case a option would be to use 3/8 pipe and adapt up to 1/2", this I have done many times with the likely wall thickness your dealing with there.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

I was considering the option for 1/8" NPT for a better suited place for a water pressure switch.
The other option is the 1/8" plugs at the bottom of the water jackets just above the pan rail.
A friend also suggested to drill/tap the 1/2NPT plug on top of the water pump but I feel like it's gonna be in my way or get knocked off somehow.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Lizardracing wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am I was considering the option for 1/8" NPT for a better suited place for a water pressure switch.
The other option is the 1/8" plugs at the bottom of the water jackets just above the pan rail.
A friend also suggested to drill/tap the 1/2NPT plug on top of the water pump but I feel like it's gonna be in my way or get knocked off somehow.
While it's not an 8 series I've put at least a dozen 1/8 temp. sensors in that location on HV1000s.

Tom
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Your right about it not being an 8 series. I don’t know where got that info from.
Thanks for the correction.