Chrysler 3.6 rocker arm question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Chrysler 3.6 rocker arm question

Post by rebelrouser »

Yes the 3.6 has issues with rocker arms, if it is ticking then replace them. I have not messed with enough of them to know if the replacement rocker arms hold up better than the OEM. It seems mostly the rockers on the rear bank facing the firewall on front wheel drive have the most issues. So not sure if it is a quality or oiling issue.

I have had no issues with putting the cam on the base circle and lossening the cam saddles a little. The rockers sit on a lash adjuster, and it does not take a lot of clearance to pop them off to the side and remove. In fact if they wear enough they tend to pop off by themselves. The only problem with this method is the front ones next to the timing gears, you do not get a lot of help or clearance by lossening the caps. I have not had to replace one next to the timing chain. It also makes it easier if you can leave the engine sit overnight before you start, that way some of the oil, may have drained out of the lash adjuster and they are softer and easier to compress.

One thing to remember is the slack adjusters on timing chain are spring loaded and they only expand, if you lift the cam too much the adjuster can pop out to the next setting and when you bolt down the cam caps it has the chain too tight. It takes a lot of work to pull the front off the engine to take the chain off to do it that way.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

just did one,loosen the caps,
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Randy, 2 of my sons had these cars and the dealer would replace rockers under recall...... But only the side that was messed up each time. The replacement rockers were no worse and no better than the original pieces. The issue is lack of sufficient lubrication at the valvetrain.

When I heard about this at a family get together several years ago, I drove down to the local auto parts and bought each of my sons 2 large bottles of Marvel Mystery Oil. Its not snake oil...... Just a finely refined oil that gets into small passages in hydraulic lifters and other such tight places.

I poured 6 oz. into each of their crankcases that day and told them to add 4 oz. at each oil change thereafter. They did so and pretty soon, had no more valvetrain noise. And even though they were pretty close to having to replace the other side of valvetrain at the time...... The noise went away and though they kept their cars for another 2 years, they never had any further issues and avoided bringing them back to the dealer for valvetrain replacement......

https://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

Happy Motoring,

Harry