hi performance coil and module for gm crate do anything?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

Re: hi performance coil and module for gm crate do anything?

Post by dynoflo »

Tuner the disributor is what came in the motor. The endplay was .065 I shimmed it to .025. There were marks on brass prongs in cap where rotor passes by. The 602 crates have a standard volume oil pump. I dont plug oil bypass and run 10w30 semi synthetic with no additives. I had the timing locked and decided to curve it. Module should be here in two days and then will install with better coil and new cap and rotor. I dont remenber if i put the distributor gear on with dimple aimed at rotor tip. thanks for help.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

dynoflo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 pm local track not checking distributor internally. Had motor on my dyno couldnt do anything with it. It just sat at 350 hp and 390 tq. Tried different valve adjustments and timing and not much to be had. Two carbs same thing. Gave up put motor in car. It runs right along with everyone else. Carb is out of hood runs cool air. Run Sunoco 100 octane no ethanol. 32 degrees timing. 1 5/8 headers 3 inch collectors. im out of ideas.
How old is this engine? Those nos. are in line with pre 2009 engines, 10 - 13 they are a little better and after 2013 they got even better when they
changed the head casting. Starting last year they gained a little more torque but about the same HP but are much more consistent with output.
Average #s for new ones are low to mid 360s hp and plus 400 tq.

Tom
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

The 602 crates have a standard volume oil pump.

While some early ones had GM HV pumps most 602, 603, 604 have M155HV pumps.

Tom
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

Leahymtsps engine is 2017. I can get 400 tq with timing locked but not useful in power band. I made 362 hp on pump gas but have to run track fuel. I tried their 110 and 100 but pump was best. They make money from fuel and tire sales. Have to buy fuel and tires at track.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I suppose it would be tough to sneak some VP CHP or CHP+ In the tank with its distinct odour. :mrgreen: I’ve found 5 to 10 hp with CHP.

Typical race gas is worth nothing or can even lose on a low compression engine, but pump fuel in a long main event can result in engine damage if the tune is off. 100 octane is a good, safe option for you.

Crate engines are supposed to level the field and keep engine costs in check, I wonder if the edge you’re looking for is in the car rather than the engine [-o<
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I think 5500 - 6000 rpm is pretty good for a 212/222 cam. Doubt if there is a problem with the HEI, considering the #s.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

dynoflo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm Leahymtsps engine is 2017. I can get 400 tq with timing locked but not useful in power band. I made 362 hp on pump gas but have to run track fuel. I tried their 110 and 100 but pump was best. They make money from fuel and tire sales. Have to buy fuel and tires at track.
Around here VP93 is legal and with a properly jetted carb and timing set at 34 -35 with stock dist. (rules) will help the hole torque curve. Have had people bring in all kinds of 100 - 112 mixed with pump gas and never seen it be any better. They don't respond to high octane fuel, on the other had
oxygenated fuel is a different story. In your case of having to buy track fuel I would try blending with pump fuel(s) to see what it likes.

BTW the best ign. parts I've seen are from Magsarus.

I've also seen some loose power when going to certain lighter oils because of lifter collapse at higher rpms.

Was this a new or used engine?

Tom
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

Is this for Dirtcar or track rules that use theirs as a template? Do you have any spacer on it between the carb and intake? We've built carburetors for and worked with the 602 since it's first release. Sometimes different parts look similar on the dyno but on the track they're worlds apart in how they act on starts, re-starts, corner exit and smooth driveability on slick. Those are the things that give the driver an edge.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

these motors are very frustrating when trying to make power. JDR is correct about driveability but driver is used to much more power. He won 10 of 15 features with one of my built motors. I had 3 cars win features one night with my motors. Track had head pulled on all of them. they all were legal. I found 5/8 phenolic spacer worked best. Think 6300 rev limit is crazy for this motor that runs out of steam at 5500. This is one instance where torque be used instead of hp. This is asphalt tracks where hooking up is not a problem.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

An acquaintance recently bought brand new ACDelco HEI and box and dist labelled made in either China or Taiwan. He put dist thru paces on his SUN dist machine and it performed admirably. Same good performance for recently bought Davis DUI HEI although it was Not labelled offshore.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

leahymtsps wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am
dynoflo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm Leahymtsps engine is 2017. I can get 400 tq with timing locked but not useful in power band. I made 362 hp on pump gas but have to run track fuel. I tried their 110 and 100 but pump was best. They make money from fuel and tire sales. Have to buy fuel and tires at track.
Around here VP93 is legal and with a properly jetted carb and timing set at 34 -35 with stock dist. (rules) will help the hole torque curve. Have had people bring in all kinds of 100 - 112 mixed with pump gas and never seen it be any better. They don't respond to high octane fuel, on the other had
oxygenated fuel is a different story. In your case of having to buy track fuel I would try blending with pump fuel(s) to see what it likes.

BTW the best ign. parts I've seen are from Magsarus.

I've also seen some loose power when going to certain lighter oils because of lifter collapse at higher rpms.

Was this a new or used engine?

Tom

OOPS
Should be VP98 not 93.

Tom
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

" I can get 400 tq with timing locked but not useful in power band. "

Would you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying it wanted different timing to make best torque than makes best power? What is the timing difference between best torque and most useful power band?
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

Tuner locked timing at 32 makes around 10 more foot pounds down low but fades off as rpm increases. this rac..e track mandates 6300 max rpm which shows up on msd unit visable to tech people. Lots of guys run 4.71 and 4.88 gears which i think is rediculas for a motor that slows down so much after5500. they have to be hitting rev limiter way before turn. some guys like it because going soft into turn. I run 4.56 and still hit chip. If i had 4.33 I would run them. I dont like turning these motors very high because every time i change valve springs the lock groove on valve gets sharper. I have c wheated up a bunch of these with a little more valve spring and it goes away. Cam will get you 35 hp and better valves and springs gets you 20 or so. with the old seal bolts it was easy to do. With the newer bolts and cable seals its next to impossible
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

32 for best torque, but what makes best power?
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

Tuner timing retarded a few degrees at 5500 and above so i would guess hp peak was around 30 degrees