Flexplate/converter bolts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jatmobkar
Flexplate/converter bolts

Post by Jatmobkar »

My 454 flexplate is drilled for 7/16 bolts and my coan converter is 3/8. I am using 3/8-24 grade 8 bolts with washers and stover c nuts. Is this ok or should the converter be drilled for 7/16? I’d really hate to take it all back apart.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Flexplate/converter bolts

Post by BOOT »

I got some tube n had a friend with a band saw cut me some thin size adapters for the bolts when I had the same for a sbc. Small things like that bug me.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

To answer your question: No.
You will have plenty of opportunity to get the right flex plate or drill out the convertor mounts to 7/16 after the current bolts loosen up and auger out the flex plate.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I think it would depend on how much torque your engine makes. If it is just a slightly over stock, no problem, if it is making 500 ft. lbs or more, I would say go to 7/16.
Most performance converters have 7/16 bolts. My experience is that many years ago when I ran a performance converter with 3/8 bolts they had a tendency to loosen up over time. When I had the converter freshened, I had them drill it to 7/16 bolts and they never came loose again. Back when they made converters out of stock cores some had 3/8 bolts, have not seen one for years that had anything smaller than 7/16.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

10 mm bolts on mine.
Jim