Damper diameter performance question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cncguy987
Damper diameter performance question

Post by cncguy987 »

A smaller diameter damper is lighter etc, but is a larger diameter better for any reasons? Would the stroke of a crank dictate using a smaller or larger one?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Damper diameter performance question

Post by PackardV8 »

cncguy987 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:47 pm A smaller diameter damper is lighter etc, but is a larger diameter better for any reasons? Would the stroke of a crank dictate using a smaller or larger one?
Define "better".

Yes, for ultimate dampening of torsional vibration, larger and heavier is better.

No, for faster acceleration of rotating mass, smaller is better.

Maybe, define your application.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Also consider the weight ya going out there in the nose. 8” damper on a stock or cast steel 350 snout is a lot.
Scat says to use the 6” on there 9000 series stuff. I’ve had a failure Before when the key tore out the damper slot but no damage to the crank snout.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Lizardracing wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:08 pm Also consider the weight ya going out there in the nose. 8” damper on a stock or cast steel 350 snout is a lot.
Scat says to use the 6” on there 9000 series stuff. I’ve had a failure Before when the key tore out the damper slot but no damage to the crank snout.
For true. The SBC crankshafts made with a BBC snout are for a reason. Back when, the Ford FE truck 361"/391" crankshafts are the same as the car until the huge diameter, long snout because of the extended high RPM with AC and air compressor loading.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
cncguy987

Post by cncguy987 »

To go further into my question, i was curious if a larger diameter damper would dampen the harmonics of the engine the same or better and does the cubic inches of the engine effect that. Would cubic inches mandate a larger one? The engine is a top of the line dirt late mod engine, 430 ci, with a bbc snout.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Years back on S-T, I referenced SBC tests by David Vizard. AIR, even with 600 RPM/sec. pulls, the biggest (8") damper made the most power and the bare hub made the least.
Here's some info and further links: http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampe ... /index.htm
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Use, power level and displacement are factors. Just ask a aftermarket manufacture and give them your info. For example a trailer queen track drag car, just a hub is said to be sometimes used. Trucks or performance(not the weak 70's low hp) sbc would have the larger diameter unit but an aftermarket might do better n not need to be as large. Another factor would be the number of belts and accessories. Usually safe to go larger with a damper if your want to protect your investment.

FYI some aftermarket type need to be rebuilt/replaced if you have a major engine failure
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »