Welded Camshafts for regrinding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

benno318
Pro
Pro

Re: Welded Camshafts for regrinding

Post by benno318 »

KnightEngines wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:15 am Tighe cams in Australia will scratch make you a cam blank for pretty much anything, they'll do 1 off's no problem.
just dont let them grind it :roll:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

dhidaka wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:30 pm WebCams produces a nice hardweld product. The last person I talked with in sales is female and she knows the product. Grinds are available that are not in their catalog. Just ask. She sent me a list with timing specs for the parameters I requested.
I believe the woman you talked to might be one of the owners or head manager....She was indifferent to me and I get along good with reps on the phone. Maybe because it's vintage bike cams that she was not familar with...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

benno318 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 am
KnightEngines wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:15 am Tighe cams in Australia will scratch make you a cam blank for pretty much anything, they'll do 1 off's no problem.
just dont let them grind it :roll:
Yeah, probably worth mentioning that!
They make me Holden 6 steel roller blanks - which I then get Mal at camtech to grind for me!
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Thank you for all the advise. It sounds like there are some options after all.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Is there any warehouse sources around for old cam blanks? I took my last one off the shelf. It has a part number on the box ep-22 and that number is also cast into the core. On the other side it is cast CWC. I think they were made in the USA, not japan. Just thinking maybe someone has some dusty old stock somewhere.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

donforeman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:44 am Is there any warehouse sources around for old cam blanks? I took my last one off the shelf. It has a part number on the box ep-22 and that number is also cast into the core. On the other side it is cast CWC. I think they were made in the USA, not japan. Just thinking maybe someone has some dusty old stock somewhere.
EP-22 is the part#(73-79 1200cc Civic 4 cyl), from Engine Power Components in Grand Haven MI.
No Warehouse would carry an unground cam core. I would check with older cam companies, like Isky.
You could also try EPC. Maybe they have a pile of them, stuck in a corner somewhere.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

CamKing wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:14 pm
donforeman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:44 am Is there any warehouse sources around for old cam blanks? I took my last one off the shelf. It has a part number on the box ep-22 and that number is also cast into the core. On the other side it is cast CWC. I think they were made in the USA, not japan. Just thinking maybe someone has some dusty old stock somewhere.
EP-22 is the part#(73-79 1200cc Civic 4 cyl), from Engine Power Components in Grand Haven MI.
No Warehouse would carry an unground cam core. I would check with older cam companies, like Isky.
You could also try EPC. Maybe they have a pile of them, stuck in a corner somewhere.
Since your Civic is more recent and much larger production, It is to be hoped you have better luck than I did. I visited Iskenderian and with Ed's permission searched the dusty shelves. They had no unused Studebaker or Packard cam cores. I called EPC and they said they cast to production orders. At their volume, nothing can sit. It's ordered, cast, ground and shipped ASAP.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Thank you for the help. I have a lot of ground cores. I was just trying to eliminate the weld up job to get a factory base circle. Isky is out of blanks ground and unground. Checking with Web cams now they may have one.
cknight

Post by cknight »

For some of these "unique" applications, try Camcraft in Canton, NC. Great folks to deal with. Regards, Chase
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

I have found about 8 people so far that may be interested in a new blank so far. I have done parts runs before it takes a little while to get the word out and people interested as the market is small. In January we had 55 adjustable timing gears made that turned out really nice. One person brought up that if the cam blank is billet instead of cast, how will that affect the oil pump and distributor gears? If those have to be remade, the run is not looking good.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

donforeman wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:48 pm I have found about 8 people so far that may be interested in a new blank so far. I have done parts runs before it takes a little while to get the word out and people interested as the market is small. In January we had 55 adjustable timing gears made that turned out really nice. One person brought up that if the cam blank is billet instead of cast, how will that affect the oil pump and distributor gears? If those have to be remade, the run is not looking good.
Are the stock gears that ride against the gears on the cam, iron, steel, or bronze ?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Thanks for the fast reply. I am not sure, the original honda cam for sure is cast. The aftermarket cast blank from EPC has the complaint though that they are softer than honda cam and do wear out gears sooner with street use. Thats why Colt cams and a few other places say they did regrinds even when the blanks were easier to find. On the race track they seem to last. The gears that ride on the cam look like steel. It could be cast and machined though. No rough casting anywhere on the gears though.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

I got this from Tighe a few minutes ago, I emailed them because we are stuck at 8 for the moment.

Yes we Know the engine and we have had cores for them in the Past. The picture is a US made casting. We can Make low volume runs of Billets But do not have the gear cutters to cut the gears on the Honda have looked it that before. The economics is not worth the small volume. The gear hobs are $2500.00 before we even begin.

Sorry Regards

Dean
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Someone mentioned that the gears on the honda camshaft are removable if you try hard enough. I guess it takes both heat and a lot of force in the press. It does help explain why the gears do not wear like the cast lobes though and the complaints of the aftermarket cast cores being too soft. Seems that the gears could possibly be transferred to a new semi finished blank if needed.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

donforeman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am I have 70s 1.2L Civic I am redoing for SCCA vintage racing. It's not really that fast with only about 100 hp at the wheels, but it does OK in its class with the Mg Midgets and Sprites. Speed parts used to be available, but now are getting really hard to find. I had two new semi machined cast cam blanks i purchased from King Motorsports in the 90s. I sent one to Schneider cams a few years ago and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the tech guy specifically telling him what I wanted and this was not a street car. They ground a very mild street grind into my new cam blank being lazy and not paying attention to my request, basically ruining the blank for my use. So that leaves me with just one cam blank left to try again. Not sure I want to risk that one at this point. Some people say that the original cams can be welded up and reground others say it's not a great alternative finding a new blank. What is the scoop on welding cast cams to end up with a usable core for grinding? I keep looking for new blanks but so far none in anyone's stock I can find. If the oem cam is reground without welding and the base circle reduced the rockers get all messed up geometry wise so really I don't want to do that either.

I have two of them cars in my junkyard if you need any parts, they are rusty but low mileage
Pro question poster.