Fiat twincam project coming off the stand

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Re: Fiat twincam project coming off the stand

Post by chimpvalet »

No need to doubt the validity of your results, they speak for themselves and the engine is clearly not over-cam'd. Good job!

Steve
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

hoffman900 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 am
Nut124 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 am
ptuomov wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am Remind us what’s the highest redline rpm you’re comfortable with?
I have cast pistons. I think I could occasionally hit 7800rpm.

I was hoping the bigger cam would lift the torque curve up a bit all along, not just at the very top rpm. The bigger cam has about 10deg more duration at 0.050", only about 0.010 more lift, seat to seat duration just marginally longer than this current cam.
If it were my car, I would be thinking how to lift the power curve in that 4100-5500rpm range without hurting the top.

Love the car / build though.
This!

The intake looked a little short to me, so i did a simple calculus regarding the harmonics, which shows that lengthening the intake would not only increase port volume and reduce frequency, but would also help optimize peak revs your engine sees. Changing your carb "velocity stacks" to longer could be one way doing this.

In addition what could work hand in hand with the above, say your intake cam has 302 seat to seat duration as installed. 256 @0.050". .448 lift? You can try advance the intake while keeping the cranking press under 210psi (98E5 pump gas).

Love the car / build though. :)

Fiat TC.png

-juhana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A balanced person dares to stagger, and modify ports bigger
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

The trouble with working on intake lengths on Fiats, including this Spyder, is that they are built with little room to accommodate increases. Note the use of downdraught Webers, rather than the more common sidedraught. Nice car nonetheless!

Cheers
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Average lenght and diameter was just an approximate, but i found the lenght was not necessarily maxed out 😉 44IDF is 10,5cm tall, but cant say from the picture how tall the filter is?

Screenshot_20221123-191432.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Juhana, yes, space is the problem under the hood. The front IDF air cleaner is already just about hitting the hood. I have very short ram pipes or stacks on top to keep clearance to air cleaner top.

Not sure I quite understand your calcs there.

Cam timing: I have thought about advancing the intake cam to about 102-103 from 106. I have always wondered whether overlap in itself adds power or whether overlap is just the result of long duration cams and the desire to keep IVC at below 80 ABDT for mid range torque. Guy croft seemed to believe in 108-110 ICL even for full race cams. I never saw 102 ICL in his book.

Have any test data on this?
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

I have little first hand experience with this engine, but i have kept my eyes open and i listen what my close friends/team mates tell me. Best folkrace rear engined cars (mainly 133 and 850 Fiats) accelerate from 0-100m in 5sec using 185mm wide street tires.

The class rules limit using one 45mm dual carb, but the plenum manifolds are not seen on the TCs, so guys make them for a two 45mm single barrel. The CID limit is 1650 and they can rev up to 9000 rpm during shifting first gear to second, and i believe the bests are in 180hp range. 1650 versions run both short and 80mm strokes, but there is also smaller 1450cc engines made, so it can be built different.

You could make more top end torque with a longer lenght only, but don't increase CSA or "taper", because your intake is out of tune on higher rpm. Longer "ram pipes" + thick bakelite plate between intake manifold and cylinder head could do it, without changing the look of it or spending much money. And try advance the intake using those nice pulleys on a dyno.

-juhana
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

Bakelite phenolic resin sheet can be found in pieces up to 20-30mm thick and it is easy to shape. First drill the holes and then fix the sheet against the manifold flange and use a hand router for shaping. Use gaskets on both sides of the bakelite and you may also need a longer studs too, but cake for you.

Screenshot_20221125-124547.jpg

-juhana
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

juuhanaa wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:16 am I have little first hand experience with this engine, but i have kept my eyes open and i listen what my close friends/team mates tell me. Best folkrace rear engined cars (mainly 133 and 850 Fiats) accelerate from 0-100m in 5sec using 185mm wide street tires.

The class rules limit using one 45mm dual carb, but the plenum manifolds are not seen on the TCs, so guys make them for a two 45mm single barrel. The CID limit is 1650 and they can rev up to 9000 rpm during shifting first gear to second, and i believe the bests are in 180hp range. 1650 versions run both short and 80mm strokes, but there is also smaller 1450cc engines made, so it can be built different.

-juhana
Is this the kind of racing you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxltjoKPsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmKv0aJvv4
juuhanaa
HotPass
HotPass

Post by juuhanaa »

This is what the TC should sound like

https://youtu.be/6uHFODR7RB4

Of course, the power is transmitted to the tires through a box that is designed for a 24 or so horsepower beetle engine.