Non-EP, GL-1 gear oil - brass, synchros

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Non-EP, GL-1 gear oil - brass, synchros

Post by Nut124 »

Shop manual calls for non-EP (GL-1) 80/90 gear oil. I'm having hard time finding any.

Supposedly the EP additives corrode the brass bushings(?) in the synchros and the modern EP oil is too slippery for the synchros to work properly.

Anybody else have this situation? What oil do you use?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Re: Non-EP, GL-1 gear oil - brass, synchros

Post by Krooser »

What application?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

GL4 spec gear oil is good for brass , GL5 is tough on brass. GL1 will be tough to find IMHO.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Im pulling a kevin right now :D
Ive been reading up on the subject already actually

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t ... 561/page-6

there is some fantastic information posted by a member by the name of molakule

on page 7 there is a list of GL4 manual transmission fluids by weight and CST values.

in any case GL4 is good in a transmission with yellow metal synchros, GL5 is not, howerver there are some GL4 oils that claim GL5 protection levels, which would aslo be fine.

you could match up the viscosity with the OEM oil and it should work.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Thanks for the replies. I will get some synthetic GL-4 oil, "safe for yellow metal".

Krooser, this is for my Fiat 124 Spider -78, 5-speed manual. My old trans did have the 2nd gear synchro fail for what ever reason after a lot of hard driving and some missed up shifts.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Heavier than oem for gear protection,
Lighter for possibly faster synchronization
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back when I was with AP Green, I let my bulk fuel/lube distributor find it for me.

Imho, it is his job..

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Sorry, double post.

My bad...

pdq67
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Just go synthetic.
Much better protection and shift quality and no issues with the bronze synchros in the fiat box. I'm using castrol syntrans in box and syntrax in diff. No issues.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Nut124 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 pm Thanks for the replies. I will get some synthetic GL-4 oil, "safe for yellow metal".

Krooser, this is for my Fiat 124 Spider -78, 5-speed manual. My old trans did have the 2nd gear synchro fail for what ever reason after a lot of hard driving and some missed up shifts.
I special ordered GL4 spec gear lube from a Mobil oil distributor back when I was messing with early Triumph roadsters. That was 10 years ago.

Since then I used GM Synchromesh fluid without any issues in early boxes... shifts real nice.

Ymmv...
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Krooser wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am
Nut124 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:54 pm Thanks for the replies. I will get some synthetic GL-4 oil, "safe for yellow metal".

I special ordered GL4 spec gear lube from a Mobil oil distributor back when I was messing with early Triumph roadsters. That was 10 years ago.

Since then I used GM Synchromesh fluid without any issues in early boxes... shifts real nice.

Ymmv...

Is the syncromesh a GL-4 or GL-5 oil?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:14 am
Krooser wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am

Ymmv...

Is the syncromesh a GL-4 or GL-5 oil?
Neither...not an EP product.

light-truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture* NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec* T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover*, MG*, and Mini Cooper*. Replaces Honda* Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco* MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.

Years ago when I researched using this stuff I found only one refinery and blender made the product regardless of brand...Mobil iirc.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

You will be fine running a GL-4 oil in an application that calls for GL-1. GL-1 is obsolete.

Some GL-5 oils will work in GL-4 applications if the additive package is adjusted to keep down the phosphorus and active sulfur content. These are rare however, and if you don't know what to look for or know the formulator, it's best to stick with GL-4.

Red Line MT-90 is an excellent GL-4 oil.
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

I do use synthetic ATF in manual gearboxes - it usually works much better than GL-4 grade oils. Redline MTL is one excellent product that have both GL4 and ATF grades but it's expensive, any thin synth ATF works usually also well.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

naukkis79 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm I do use synthetic ATF in manual gearboxes - it usually works much better than GL-4 grade oils. Redline MTL is one excellent product that have both GL4 and ATF grades but it's expensive, any thin synth ATF works usually also well.
My trans specs ATF
I'm going to give redline MTLV a try.
I hope and think it could/should work slightly better than atf.