Any idea what this is?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Durney

Any idea what this is?

Post by Durney »

5.3 low mileage LS. Not in front of me to examine it in person but I just don't remember seeing anything like this. The rockers springs and retainers looked to covered. Don't think its sludge, doesn't look to have been overheated, has been stored in a heated dry environment for several years....your thoughts? Just dried out oil?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Still learning that 20 years of experience ...can be your worst enemy"
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Any idea what this is?

Post by dannobee »

Do you mean the gold tinge? Or the general lack of lube look?

It's probably a pic of the PCV side (usually driver side on an LS) and the engine has plenty of stop and start cycles without warming up. They need to warm up to burn off the water vapor. At least that's what I've seen. YMMV
Durney

Post by Durney »

I'm referring to the coarse gray coating or film evenly distributed all over the rockers, retainers and springs. Note how the head looks clean (other than some orange oil staining). Very odd. You can even see a small amount of surface rust on one of the rockers from storage. Maybe an oil additive was used and it flashes off during long term storage?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Could be a lipophilic coating applied during a refresh but never wetted with oil.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Where was it stored? Was there any chemicals, large deposit of minerals or high voltage? Looks like a form of corrosion or reaction to me, wonder if the rods and crank also look like that, basically any ferrous parts.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

looks sand blasted then put back together :(
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Doesn't look like anything odd to me. I've seen heads that are much, much worse than that. We're talking rusted springs and rockers, surface rust on the head, etc... Without seeing it in person, you're just guessing.

Side note: looks exactly like my V6 vortec mechanically. Same style rockers & "stands".
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

I read the first couple of sentences of the post and then looked at the pic ...... immediate thought was been left standing in a warm, arid place

Then I read the rest of the post :
......been stored in a heated dry environment for several years ......
I'm not actually sure it's any more complicated than this :-k

Some of the components of the oil have evaporated off the 'warmer' aluminium head surface and deposited themselves on the relatively 'cooler' ferrous valve gear ......? Alloy valve covers too ......?
Durney

Post by Durney »

Mystery solved. Crank rods etc all spotless, but tinted slightly. The valvetrain was the worst but it wiped off easily.

I'm certain now it was whatever oil was being used and it simply flashed off over time leaving this strange residue.

Engine will be resealed and oil changed in multiples to flush

Ps - It smelled a lot like amsoil.