SBC HFT lifters best buy ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

madmooney

SBC HFT lifters best buy ?

Post by madmooney »

Hello all. I think I may have found my power and start up noise issue per previous post. I had low power and bad lifter
noise after sitting a couple of days in a 388 SBC. Pulled intake and covers,rockers ect and found roughly half of the lifters
could be compressed with a screwdriver like they had never been run! Now nobody take this as knocking Howards as I
have been very happy with their products in the past and they are acting like they may warrant this issue. But this is the
3rd cam kit I have gotten from them in the last 10 years and lifter quality has for sure gone down. The first kit had what
appeared to be Delco with the pressed on foot and c-clip retainers, this set is in my 360 and are in very good shape and
will be run some more. The 2nd kit was much milder grind and came with a round piece of sheet metal pressed in to
retain the piston, this kit has survived transplant into 4 different blocks and is still running strong.This last set did'nt
make it a week before having bleed down issues.
I called Howards today and told them that regardless of the warranty claim I would buy a set max effort lifters to
get the truck running.I was informed they would not sell me a set of HFT lifters unless I bought a kit because of a lifter
shortage as the company they get the bodies from went out of business. How interesting. China maybe?
Anyhow summit and GM want 160$ for Delphi, I called Jones for pricing but it was late and I did'nt get through I'll
have to try again tomorrow. What other options are out there for a decent cost effective lifter that won't come apart
in a hour's operation?
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC HFT lifters best buy ?

Post by nxtruck »

On my last sbc build (a mild 355), I used Crower Cam savers. So far with about 20,000 miles on them, I’m very happy with them.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

If you want a set of reliable lifters, find some factory lifters & have them re-faced. Been doing that here since Adam was a boy....
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Most everyone is out of chevy hydr flat tappet lifters.
We use the 817 lifter, and they are back-ordered
The plant in Michigan, that makes them has been closed for months, and just opened back up, about a week ago.
They're producing lifters, and filling back-orders as fast as they can, but it'll probably be months before the pipeline gets back to normal.

We're having the same issue with cam cores.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

I assume you have to disassemble the lifter before refacing? are they rehardened after refacing?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

bobmc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:33 pm I assume you have to disassemble the lifter before refacing? are they rehardened after refacing?
Nope on both counts. It's a pretty sole procedure ....

https://youtu.be/K1FXQ3qFFCY
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

bobmc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:33 pm I assume you have to disassemble the lifter before refacing? are they rehardened after refacing?
Nope on both counts. It's a pretty quick procedure ....

https://youtu.be/K1FXQ3qFFCY
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
madmooney

Post by madmooney »

Wow! Who would have thought a chevy lifter shortage in the USA? Shades of WW2. Jeg's have some CC lifters called
"race" lifters that are a little cheaper than the "Magnum" line, they are tighter than the "anti pump up" lifters and are
to be run with .030-0 pre-load. As I have about .250 P-V clearance I think I would rather pump up than be "mushy"
all the time.

Several places have "cam saver" type lifters in stock, I don't know about a flat spot on my lifters although I guess
it has been done a lot. I think I would groove the lifter bores first, but I bet this 388 slings plenty of oil on the cam
with the stock oil pan.

Maybe if this motor acts alright by next spring I can pop for a Jones SFT set-up. 8)
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

i just got off phone with bullet cams. they have a set of delphi sbc hydraulics. ask for tim
madmooney

Post by madmooney »

Bummer. I just pulled the trigger at Jegs. Thanks for asking though.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I have never had an issue with Comps run of the mill lifters, could be that the smaller company's are looking for anything they can to stay in business.

Smaller company's may want to stock up on anything they can now as we rapidly become a fallen country.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

GARY C wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:11 pm Smaller company's may want to stock up on anything they can now as we rapidly become a fallen country.
US Productivity is actually up.
Manufacturing is rebounding.
The US lifter and cam core companies are now at full speed. It's just going to take a while to refill the pipeline, that was depleted over the last 5 months.

If you don't want to wait, you can find the Chinese and Mexican made lifters and cams, from the big name sellers. Good Luck.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

For the last 50 years I have used the early Cadillac lifters in a hydraulic camshaft Chevrolet - #HT-969.
If you do enough engines to buy them by the tray, they are a whole lot less expensive by the piece.
The plunger travel is a bit more and the pushrod button is about .050" higher.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

CamKing wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:27 am Most everyone is out of chevy hydr flat tappet lifters.
We use the 817 lifter, and they are back-ordered
The plant in Michigan, that makes them has been closed for months, and just opened back up, about a week ago.
They're producing lifters, and filling back-orders as fast as they can, but it'll probably be months before the pipeline gets back to normal.

We're having the same issue with cam cores.
Tried calling PAC lately? The Governor of that State is insane.
engineman1642

Post by engineman1642 »

LIBERTY still has DELPHI lifters in stock. not cheap but still available.