SBF Dry Sump & ASK Numbers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

SBF Dry Sump & ASK Numbers

Post by frnkeore »

I got this dry sump, in 1970. It came off of a 289 H&M engine, installed in a McLaren MK 3, Can Am car, owned and driven my a man named Kurt Speek. I think he was from IN. I was told, by him that it was a H&M dry sump but, I've come to the conclusion that it not a H&M pump and he called it that, because it came on a H&M engine. He ran it in '68 and part of '69, before switching to a SBC.

I've talked about it on another forum and that the pump was designed by was Ford's "Scientific" division of the racing development unit, known as SK. The other racing unit was call EX. The pumps part # is ASK2233. ASK parts, could be manufactured by either Ford or a outside vendor, to Fords design specs. As you can see, it's a very well designed, totally enclosed, 3 stage pump, that uses gears, larger than the Weavers (SBC size). The bulkhead fitting are not AN but, a fine thread steel fitting. All the tubing, is also steel.

This thing seems to be even rarer than "hens teeth" as I have not found another or, mention of it in all my searches. It is not the same dry sump system that the push rod or the DOHC, Indy engines used. It seems that it may have been designed for only the 289 cast iron block.

In my search, I found that Shelby ran his '63-'64 King Cobra (Cooper chassis), Can Am cars and Gurney ran Lola T70's and his MK 5, FA/F5000 cars, as late as '69. So, I believe it will fit in that time frame, since I got it in '70.

My first question is, does anyone have or know where I can find pictures of either the Gurney or Shelby engines, in those programs?

The next question is what does anyone know about the ASK parts, that Ford built? Does anyone have any parts or any pictures of them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xenginebuilder
Expert
Expert

Re: SBF Dry Sump & ASK Numbers

Post by xenginebuilder »

The guy that I would think could tell you what you need to know is Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels
Paradise Wheels Inc
1413 Linda Vista Dr Suite D
San Marcos, Ca 92078
760-290-3031 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm PST)
If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Wow thats a really cool old system.
My friend and his dad was involved with ford racing and they built some early dry sump pumps i sent him your pictures he may know something about them.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you both.

I'll give Craig a call on Mon and englertracing, I anxiously await any input, you dad might have.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

englertracing wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:08 pm Wow thats a really cool old system.
My friend and his dad was involved with ford racing and they built some early dry sump pumps i sent him your pictures he may know something about them.
I just call Craig and he isn't familiar with any factory Ford built dry sumps or the ASK part numbers.

At this point, your friends dad is my only hope.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Hi Everyone,
I thought I'd throw this up top, just one more time and hope that someone will see it that might be able to direct me to a site that may have some info on ASK Ford part numbers.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Frank,
Unfortunately most of the Ford engineers in the ''Scientific" engine group have passed on. Projects they did were not meant for use by the general public so information is VERY sparse. As I told you I have many ASK parts myself . Blocks , heads , intakes. I have been trying to get in touch with one major player from that group but he is not well and I have to respect his family's wish to not "bother" him with this stuff. I have several friends that were in Ford engineering but even they didn't know much of what was done upstairs. They are quick to recognize the ASK but are also quick to note the secrecy in what was done "upstairs". Have you found any other ASK numbers other than the ones on the pump ? The ASK number refers to a manufacturing blueprint for that specific piece , not the entire pump assembly. That would be another separate blueprint for the assembly. Each tube should have it's own number as well. The gears would also. There might be someone out there with ASK information besides what I have and "I" would like to find them too. Somewhat similar systems were designed for the Boss 302, 351C (Nascar) and Boss 429 (Nascar/Can Am). I hope you can find someone I haven't.
Randy
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Randy,
Here is the complete parts break down, on the pump:

Front to back:
Pressure side, valve body - 2268 #2
All pumps - 2233
Separator, pressure/scavenge - 2234