Corvette tach drive cables, ferrule and drive tang sizes?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Corvette tach drive cables, ferrule and drive tang sizes?

Post by falcongeorge »

Looking for the thread sizes and drive tang sizes on both ends of a Corvette tach drive cable. I know the drive tang on the distributor end is .104, but looking for the thread sizes on both ends, and the tang on the tach end. I know I can grab the distributor and the tach and head down to the hardware store and try fine thread nuts till I find something that fits, but I am lazy and hoping to save the trip. I have found several tractor suppliers that can provide a drive cable for less than 1/2 the price for a re-pop through a typical Corvette restoration outlet, and the OEM Corvette one is on the long side for my application (T-tudor sedan with a 270hp 283) anyway. I could get something that works better and is half the price, as long as I know my fitting size. I know a good speedometer could fix me up, but we don't have any around here. Could try a marine place, but if I can just buy a ready-made cable from a tractor restoration place for $20, I'd rather go that route.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: Corvette tach drive cables, ferrule and drive tang sizes?

Post by rebelyell »

I've had a couple vettes w/ mechanical tach distributors.
Both ends of cable core are square (NO "tang") about .104" across flats (both speedo & tach cores essentially same)

some have a steel ferrule w/ .104' square but no tang

the core is a round, wound cable that is flattened (squared) using a die.

You can buy a universal length of core and you cut to length then you square it up

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q= ... ified=true

IIRC, core pulls out of housing from TOP at speedo or tach heads ...Not from bottom.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Sorry, yes, I mis-used the word "tang" there I guess I meant to say the end of the cable that engages with the hole in either the tach or distributor drive. The hole in the tach is definitely bigger than .104, I tried the end of a different .104 cable in there (I have a lot of mechanical tachs), it didn't fit it was loose.Thanks for the lead on the NAPA speedo repair kit. Does anyone know the internal thread on the nuts that engage either the distributor drive or the tach? They are two different sizes, the distributor end is bigger. Just looking at it, I would guess that the distributor end is 7/8 NFC, and the tach end 5/8? Maybe I need to get off my lazy backside :D and make a trip down to the local parts place and go through their fine thread nuts...
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

also, take a look at Clark Brothers. CB took over this segment from Stewart-Warner
they have the widest variety of parts & pieces anywhere and also manufacture.
http://www.clarkbrothers.net/speedomete ... ables.html
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

rebelyell wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:43 pm also, take a look at Clark Brothers. CB took over this segment from Stewart-Warner
they have the widest variety of parts & pieces anywhere and also manufacture.
http://www.clarkbrothers.net/speedomete ... ables.html
Thanks, yes, thats the ticket! They make them in a more appropriate length. The shortest replacement Corvette cable is a little over 30", then i have to coil all that slack up behind the dash or something, PITA.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---checked one Corvette tach drive distributor---threads are 7/8-18---where 7/8NF is 14 threads per inch
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

bill jones wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:06 pm ---checked one Corvette tach drive distributor---threads are 7/8-18---where 7/8NF is 14 threads per inch
Excellent Bill, Thanks. I think the tach end is 5/8 . Thanks to everybody who helped out,I think I got it figured now.