423 SBC combo help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cab0154
Pro
Pro

Re: 423 SBC combo help

Post by cab0154 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:59 pm the flowmasters are gone, the fuel pump has a pressure gage and never lost pressure in fact the carb has always been to rich. I'm not blaming the cam. So all in all i feel i could blame the carb and it may eventually get the boot. Depends how this weekend goes. Convertor was not slipping or showing any problems though it may want a higher stall speed but i doubt that is the source of our problems. I'm fully willing to tell the truth if i screwed up on this combo.
Brian
so the carb is probably a problem. I would talk to the guys at AED and see what they say. and there is more to a converter than just stall speed. as far as the pump, when the other stuff is right, and the car leaves hard, that pump will likely become a problem. just my $.02
"Anyone who thinks the low RPM engine will be faster just does not have as much experience as the rest of us" -The late, great Joe Sherman.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

10.34 at 127 mph. Best time ever but not by much and not really worth bragging about. As mentioned the 32" tires killed the RPM. It goes through at 6600 now. Should be 7500. I'd say we definitely picked up some power. I had hoped the heads were the magic bullet and they still may be, but now it needs gears.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Any idea of the race weight now?

Still have the mufflers on?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

just finished installing 5.14 gears in this car and a line loc. The gears should put this car back in the RPM range the engine wants.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

May not be enough but should help considerably.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

130mph with 5.14’s running a 32” tire is right about 7K, not taking into account tire growth or converter slip.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I know this isn't quite the answer to what your trying to do,but I think your motor will last a bit longer at 7K or less. What you have runs great.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

hoping to head to the track this weekend. A few more changes including a Coan powerglide, suspension tuning on the 4 link and new control arms / coil overs on the front that should help weight transfer considerably. Car weighs 3000 race ready.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I have two of those qft1050. You have to check and make sure its not for a boost motor. Mine were and that requires adding a vac line for it and adding power valves. Otherwise they run way rich. I phoned the number in to quickfuel and that was his reply. Finally got it dialed in but offered no gains over 1050 dommy.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I have two of those qft1050. You have to check and make sure its not for a boost motor. Mine were and that requires adding a vac line for it and adding power valves. Otherwise they run way rich. I phoned the number in to quickfuel and that was his reply. Finally got it dialed in but offered no gains over 1050 dommy.
If the number on it is q 1050 b2 its a blow through carb and needs those changes to work.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

5.14 gears, new daytona sensors ignition system, powerglide transmission (was turbo 350)

10.31 at 130 mph this weekend.