383 Build input request (E85)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: 383 Build input request (E85)

Post by Lizardracing »

The lightweight crank might even hurt. Drag cars seem to appreciate the mass and inertia to get the car moving forward.

https://www.cnc-motorsports.com does their own work in house unlike Speedway so I'd give them a call and see what they can put together for a kit.
They could most likely also set clearances and balance so all you would have to do is wash it and install it.
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

I found that Shafiroff engines does rotating assemblies this morning. A buddy has a badass big block from them in his Camaro.

https://www.shafiroff.com/balanced-rota ... sembly.php

I hadn't heard much about CNC as far as quality of work/ reviews but I'll check them out too.
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

Bringing this post back from the dead. We've got the engine pulled from the car, heads taken off and had a peak at the cylinders. Everything looks pretty good inside should clean up well with either a hone or .010 bore. Hoping to get the engine to the machine shop next week, then I can get the rotating assembly ordered. Shooting for about 12.5:1 forged 383 rotating assembly likely from Shafiroff or CNC motorsports. I'm going to reuse the 2925 intake for now along with the vic jr heads. I may clean up the ports a bit on the heads and possibly match up the intake a little better. Looking at the gaskets when we took them off there is at least 1/8"+ where the top of the intake port hangs down into the head port and there is a bump in the casting at the transition at that location too. Not sure if it's worth cleaning up or not. The exhaust ports on the heads have a couple bumps I'd like to smooth out too but nothing major same with the intakes.
20201205_093617.jpg
20201219_125239.jpg
20201219_142712.jpg
I've talked with Cam King regarding the cam selection and he gave me a recommendation for a solid roller.
Cam# SBC, R78440-80440-110
260/267 @.050"
.440"/.440" Lobe Lift
110 LSA

Spring# JRC43
1.550" Dbl Spring, 16 set
240#@1.900", 600#@1.250", CB-1.150"

Since talking with him I've ordered a powerglide with a brake, seemed cheaper in the long run over trying to beef up the broken 350. A 3 speed would probably be faster for the combo but I couldn't see dumping a bunch of money in the 350 or going to a heavy 400. I've got a turbo spline input for it and will either talk to someone about rebuilding the converter that came out of the car or getting a new converted built for the car. I'm thinking of shooting for about 4500 stall but open to suggestions in that department? I don't want to spend a fortune on a converter for a bracket/ street car but I also don't want complete junk either.

I'm still planning on giving E85 a go and having the current HP750 modified to suit by Pro Systems.

The motor currently has cheapo crane cast 1.5 aluminum rockers with moroso stud girdles, should I upgrade the rockers for these spring pressures or will these be fine?

Another question I've got is how much lifter do I need to run? Should I buy a rev kit? I was looking at Crane endure-x or Crower 66200 crowers catalog indicates these should be good for the spring pressures I'll be running but I couldn't find the same info on the cranes. Might be something I need to ask Mike about.

If I run a stroker clearanced rod can I get away from a small base circle cam? From my research it sounds like I can with proper rods.

Any ideas an what kind of power this should make? I'd love to be in the 550+ hp range but it's going to be what it's going to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

12.5:1 383 on E85, i cant imagine that wont go 550. id just add that im skeptical of mail order "balanced" rotating assemblies. id have your local guy you trust balance it, even if it is sold as balanced.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Power glide will work in a heavier car,and you are probably sick of hearing it but don't skimp on a converter.
I have done a lot of track testing A-B-A going from a 9" 4000 stall to a well built 8" 5600 stall and always picked up et in the 60ft,different engine combinations from 400hp 327 to 520 hp 383,including different cams,intake's, carbs ,headers etc car always ran faster but would lose 1 mph or so usually.
This is in my 3650 pd streeter towing a box trailer (dragweek style) with no issues,I am ramping up my engine combinations as we speak and will be changing to lower rear gears,taller tyres and probably more converter.
The one thing I want to say is this-
Cylinder heads, intake manifolds are where the power is in my opinion,
If you can find a person to size your heads and intake for your application your hp goals will be met plus some.
I think the heads are a little big 215 as cast and after reworking might be in the 220cc region, no big deal but that will push the hp peak up higher,so then you will have to turn the engine higher.
The super victor is a great manifold if the plenum is ported correctly.
I could go on and on - you have so many options I suggest you don't change to many things at once it's easy to get lost in all the fun.
Best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

There's a guy out that way goes by Wolfplace, might be able to help you out. :wink:
Jim
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:30 pm Power glide will work in a heavier car,and you are probably sick of hearing it but don't skimp on a converter.
I have done a lot of track testing A-B-A going from a 9" 4000 stall to a well built 8" 5600 stall and always picked up et in the 60ft,different engine combinations from 400hp 327 to 520 hp 383,including different cams,intake's, carbs ,headers etc car always ran faster but would lose 1 mph or so usually.
This is in my 3650 pd streeter towing a box trailer (dragweek style) with no issues,I am ramping up my engine combinations as we speak and will be changing to lower rear gears,taller tyres and probably more converter.
The one thing I want to say is this-
Cylinder heads, intake manifolds are where the power is in my opinion,
If you can find a person to size your heads and intake for your application your hp goals will be met plus some.
I think the heads are a little big 215 as cast and after reworking might be in the 220cc region, no big deal but that will push the hp peak up higher,so then you will have to turn the engine higher.
The super victor is a great manifold if the plenum is ported correctly.
I could go on and on - you have so many options I suggest you don't change to many things at once it's easy to get lost in all the fun.
Best of luck and keep us informed on your progress.
Appreciate the feedback. Do you have recommendations for converter builders? The old one out of the car was built by continental when they were still in business, I figure I'd see if someone is interested either in it as a core or to modify for my current use. Otherwise I'll get something new. **Just noticed you're on the other side of the planet** Still probably know more about US torque converter mfr's than I do.

I figure I'll talk to cam king about a recommended stall speed for the cam as when I first filled out his quote request I planned on re-using the 3800 stall and th350. Glide just seemed like a simpler option and likely better for bracket racing (only one shift to screw up :lol: ).

Also, so you figure the heads are still a little big for the engine then? They don't seem to flow huge numbers based on edelbrocks data (best i can find on the net). I thought they might be a limiting factor in the build as much as anything other than intake.
Head flow numbers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

77cruiser wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 pm There's a guy out that way goes by Wolfplace, might be able to help you out. :wink:
He's quite a ways up north from me, I'm in the lower valley, Porterville CA. Kind of out in the sticks but Fresno and Bakersfield are only about an hour away each.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Second the vote for balancing. Bought a few balanced kits yrs ago from PAW the engine pracitcally shook itself to death, bad... =P~
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Can't help on converter manufacture sorry.
I am learning about this engine/hp as well,I won't write a book but some things to consider in my opinion
I have several sets of SBC heads and none of them flowed what they said they did as cast out of the box,they all have flow separation issues around 0.500" valve lift.mostly because the short side radius needs work.
Also a good valve job is key as it influence 30-40% of the airflow curve.
I have never done a Edelbrock head before but I think a 2.08" intake valve is big for a 4.03" bore but can work great depending on application.
The size of the intake runner as in cross sectional area usually dictates where the engine may find peak HP alot of factors involved.
You are increasing compression so that's a plus and camking got your valve events to suite as well.
Not saying your heads and manifold won't work but the real power potential is the heads and intake manifold as I stated earlier.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Converter selection is important to minimizing ET, doubly in a power glide application. 1000 to 1500 below peak is a good target for brake stall speed. A good converter will have reasonable street manners.

As always, a dyno day to optimize the combo, eliminate questions once you arrive at the track, plus the converter manufacturer loves an actual dyno sheet rather than guessing.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

I agree with others. The converter becomes more important when you do run a powerglide. PTC in Alabama makes a great custom built 8” converter that would work well in your application. It’s also reasonably priced. BTE also makes a good unit just to name a few. And Brandon at BTE is a great guy.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Jeff Paradise is not far from you, good converter guy. Lots of good info here. Most of us are saying the same thing. Heads, cam, converter. This is what will make or break the combo. I am up by Merced. Race mostly at Famoso. One thing that you will learn, you will never run as good as the “experts” expect. The air around here is not “optimal “.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

On your rotating ass. run small journal rod size ( 283 ) and comp star (csa6000cs2ah) they weigh 591g and clear a standard base circle cam.
I have ran those rods in 700hp engines with no problems. ohio crank are reasonably priced and give them your bob weight and they can balance
for you.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Even if the published flow numbers are 10-20cfm happy, I don’t see how a 12:1 roller cammed 383, with a 2925 manifold, and an appropriately sized cam, carb, and headers wouldn’t easily make 550+hp.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.