location for oil pressure safety light sensor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyart
location for oil pressure safety light sensor

Post by chevyart »

have a 400 cu in sbc' is there a small plug above the oil filter housing that i can use to screw in my sensor for oil pressure safety light. threads on sensor are the standard pipe threads(1/4 in npt?) plug in block behind distributor is used up already for other switches. thanks art
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Re: location for oil pressure safety light sensor

Post by rebelyell »

that location above filter flange as well as the one near distributor has been used in C3 third gen corvettes for OE electric oil pressure sender. Don't see why you can't.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I don't know if this port still exists, but there might be a port on the front of the block above the left side of the water pump as you stand in front of your car looking at it.

I know my 350SS engine had it. A little square plug.

I think the oil comes off the front cam bearing for a pressure sensor?

pdq67
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

not that it has much bearing on OP's question, but seems square plug at front was only blocks cast at Tonawanda NY.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

rebelyell wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:13 pm not that it has much bearing on OP's question, but seems square plug at front was only blocks cast at Tonawanda NY.
And they were 1/8" NPT
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Related and more general oiling system instrumentation question:

What’s the best oil pressure sensor location and what’s the best oil temperature sensor location in a system like this? The oil pressure sensor’s primary function is to detect as quickly as possible a condition in which the pickup sucks air and the pump starts compressing air instead of oil.
1B745DAA-F0E6-4958-8BFD-430DEF401FD0.jpeg

Another question that I have is whether anyone makes an oil pressure warning light/buzzer that compares the oil pressure to an rpm specific threshold and then sets the alarm condition based on the oil pressure below the threshold for that rpm?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:18 am

Another question that I have is whether anyone makes an oil pressure warning light/buzzer that compares the oil pressure to an rpm specific threshold and then sets the alarm condition based on the oil pressure below the threshold for that rpm?
My opel senator works like that . the oe setup has oil pressure gauge and a light and works that when oil pressure goes just below 1bar it lits up the light. The rekord e1 e2 and commodore c1 models wil be the same as its the same sender, and most probably other opel models as well, if fitted with oil pressure gauge.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

chevyfreak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:18 am

My opel senator works like that . the oe setup has oil pressure gauge and a light and works that when oil pressure goes just below 1bar it lits up the light. The rekord e1 e2 and commodore c1 models wil be the same as its the same sender, and most probably other opel models as well, if fitted with oil pressure gauge.

Chevyfreak.
I’ve got a dumb signal for the pressure warning and resistance for gauge, too, from the same sender. But I’d like the pressure warning to trigger at.”, say, 0.5 bar at idle and 4 bar at 5000 rpm. Do your cars do that?
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I have a warning light that comes on at 30 psi also same light will come on if water temp is over 210*f . These are used in along with regular mechanical gauges . After a run the light just flicker at idle the least little touch of the throttle peddle raises oil pressure light goes off . Water temp has never been over 190 f at the end of run . I like it because that light flicker reminds my to check the gauges after turning on return road . Dan
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm
I’ve got a dumb signal for the pressure warning and resistance for gauge, too, from the same sender. But I’d like the pressure warning to trigger at.”, say, 0.5 bar at idle and 4 bar at 5000 rpm. Do your cars do that?

Only does the light when pressure drops below 1 bar. Whether at idle or at higher rpm. Helps when engine is at idle but not much when at 5000rpm
But i hear what you are saying on getting a warning on higher rpm . A warning way before major damages can happen.
Maybe vdo does something like that. They do a wide field of instrumentation.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

chevyfreak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm I’ve got a dumb signal for the pressure warning and resistance for gauge, too, from the same sender. But I’d like the pressure warning to trigger at.”, say, 0.5 bar at idle and 4 bar at 5000 rpm. Do your cars do that?
Only does the light when pressure drops below 1 bar. Whether at idle or at higher rpm. Helps when engine is at idle but not much when at 5000rpm
But i hear what you are saying on getting a warning on higher rpm . A warning way before major damages can happen.
Maybe vdo does something like that. They do a wide field of instrumentation. Chevyfreak.
I've got another dumb idea for a gauge, possibly the same gauge. Accumulate a counter of engine revolutions to warn the user to change oil. But do this in a smart way, that is, accumulate the counter faster when the oil is either below the operating temperature (water not boiled out yet) or when the oil is too hot (getting oxidized and breaking up otherwise).
Put Search Keywords Here