Throttle Body quality and design questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cutta
Throttle Body quality and design questions

Post by cutta »

I'm looking at using circular throttle bodies in a vertical position for a sheet metal tunnel ram type intake manifold. For a visual, I'm thinking it will look similar to a 2x4 Rons Flying toilet mfi system. Instead of putting the injectors in the runner, I'm thinking of placing the injectors directly over the entry to the intake runners and mounting them at the top of the plenum. My thought is the get the injector as high as I can in the system to help with blending the air fuel mixture. The engine will be a comp eliminator style SBM engine. Gen 3 Hemi. Also, I'm seeing prices all over the place for these style throttle bodies. Beyond durability, isn't air flow the only concern as far as the capability of the throttle body? I don't really care if the throttle body is drive by wire or cable. Either would be fine for my application. All I need is the ability to attach a tps. The reason I ask is because I see no reason to pay $600 for a throttle body if I can get the job done with one that is $100. Anyway, just trying to educate myself and get some feedback regarding my thoughts. Thanks!
NormS
Vendor

Re: Throttle Body quality and design questions

Post by NormS »

I recently built a flow test fixture for my SF bench, to flow some single bore EFI throttle bodies that a friend is using. With some reasonable modifications, I got an Edelbrock 90mm body to flow 1200 cfm. An obviously chinese 102mm body, with the same mods, flowed only 1230 cfm.
So, as with most , if not all intake system components, shape is the name of the game, not so much size. For a engine that needs to make power over a broad rpm range, a smaller throttle body that flows well for its size,will probably outperform a larger throttle body.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787