gm 602 crate headers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

gm 602 crate headers

Post by dynoflo »

trying to get an edge with this pos crate. Had distributor problems got it cured. Runs much better but still looking for more power. Dynoed with 1 5/8 long tubes with 3 inch collector. Made 360 hp 400 torque. Turns 6300 every lap. I dont run as much gear as most because it runs out of steam at 5500.I should probably run smaller collectors but thinking of smaller tubes also. Dont want to spend money on new headers if there is no gain. Have a set i made with 1 1/2 primarys to 1 5/8 with 2 1/2 collectors but they are beat up and rusty. Used them on open motor with 350 holley. Any help would be appreciated.
englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: gm 602 crate headers

Post by englertracing »

dynoflo wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:19 pm trying to get an edge with this pos crate. Had distributor problems got it cured. Runs much better but still looking for more power. Dynoed with 1 5/8 long tubes with 3 inch collector. Made 360 hp 400 torque. Turns 6300 every lap. I dont run as much gear as most because it runs out of steam at 5500.I should probably run smaller collectors but thinking of smaller tubes also. Dont want to spend money on new headers if there is no gain. Have a set i made with 1 1/2 primarys to 1 5/8 with 2 1/2 collectors but they are beat up and rusty. Used them on open motor with 350 holley. Any help would be appreciated.
If they are beat up and rusty but run better who cares that they are beat up and rusty
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Just ensure the IDs are not too scaly. Smokey Yunick told of encountering a mysterious 20 HP power loss during an all-night dyno session. They checked and checked, changed parts, etc. Finally they stumbled on the fact that somewhere along the line the headers had been switched with another identical pair. Identical that is except for the second pair having been exposed to the humid Florida climate for a couple of years and acquiring a huge encrustation of rust on the inside. They switched back to the original and all the horses were back in the barn! #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

madbill is right. They are crusty in side. I only keep them for a pattern to make my own. I thought about dynoing with them but looked in side and they were bad. Schoenfeld said nothing helps 602 but a 2 3/4 collector and its marginal. Thats the reason i like schoenfeld. Theytell you how it is and dont try to sell you something that doesnt work.
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

604's pick up with header extensions, likely a 602 will also
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

billet- do you mean collector extensions. If so I have 18 inch collector extensions on headers.