QFT Q series E85 carb

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
QFT Q series E85 carb

Post by Lizardracing »

Just bought one for my dirt car. It has from the factory a secondary power valve plugged. Do I wanna add one? Use the same as the front one? It's a 4.5
Secondary question, does E85 appreciate a 1" open spacer the same as gas typically does?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: QFT Q series E85 carb

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Lizardracing wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 pm Just bought one for my dirt car. It has from the factory a secondary power valve plugged. Do I wanna add one? Use the same as the front one? It's a 4.5
Secondary question, does E85 appreciate a 1" open spacer the same as gas typically does?

A secondary power valve may help eliminate excess fuel pullover from the secondary boosters on deceleration, IF you are having that problem.
Otherwise there is no advantage one way or the other
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm
Lizardracing wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 pm Just bought one for my dirt car. It has from the factory a secondary power valve plugged. Do I wanna add one? Use the same as the front one? It's a 4.5

A secondary power valve may help eliminate excess fuel pullover from the secondary boosters on deceleration, IF you are having that problem.
Otherwise there is no advantage one way or the other
Thanks for the input. I haven't even fired the engine so I don't know what problems I have... yet. This is my first day with E85
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Is this an open rule engine or a crate?
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Buddy had a QF E-85 carb and would never run right. He brought it over for me to rebuild it and I spotted that QF drilled one of the boosters wrong and actually drilled it out the side which requires a new booster. We called QF and they were rude and no help at all. he bought a new main body and all worked great after that. Lesson learned.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Ks Fats wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 pm Is this an open rule engine or a crate?
Concept engine rule for USRA. It's limits the heads to 23' and a FT cam for a weight break basically.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

1980RS wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:34 pm Buddy had a QF E-85 carb and would never run right. He brought it over for me to rebuild it and I spotted that QF drilled one of the boosters wrong and actually drilled it out the side which requires a new booster. We called QF and they were rude and no help at all. he bought a new main body and all worked great after that. Lesson learned.
I'm not real surprised to hear about the QC problem with Holley or the support either. They gotten too big for thier britches and service always seems to suffer. Luckily for me I got it through a custom Carb builder that's local and he's verified and even adjusted a few things so it should work well.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro

Post by Ks Fats »

Lizard,
The reason for my question is I have found that QFT believes in the "more is better" when it comes to their emulsion package. It can be problematic when you are working with the crates; I haven't had any experience with the concept engines first hand but if you have a carb from a reputable builder you should be in the ball park. Since you are dealing with a local builder that should make any tuning tweaks easier.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Got it running. It’s much smoother than my gas stuff on the same engine. The only thing I touched was to raise the idle RPM to 1100. The car seems to like the idle mixture screws at 3/4 out from seated. That’s new to me but whatever it wants I don’t care. It’s a whole lot more snappy too. It has way more response than anything gas I’ve done in recent years. Other than than sickly sweet smell of corn water I’m down with this E85 business.