General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: single plain intake vortec

Post by skinny z »

With respect to the original post.
rocketracer380 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:04 pm have choice of gm duel plain eddy victor or gm performance single plain engine is 10:1 stock vortec heads .541" cam hyd roller
I would think that with the limited flow of the Vortecs (and assuming they are on 350 CID), maximum HP RPM is going to fall in at less than 6000 RPM. Not necessarily but generally depending on the cam spec. That to me would indicate that the dual plane could be put to better overall effect given a broad based application like street and strip.
What I can't comment on is how the GM dual plane compares to the Edelbrock Air Gap. I've run the latter in several SBC iterations and with the exception of the latest version, where maximum RPMs went up with the different cam and heads, I couldn't see the upside of a single plane.
At least from the standpoint of the large quantity of dyno testing that's been posted over the years.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Last time out with the SV on the car it went 11.06 through the mufflers that are at the back of the car. Was messing around with my throttle stop and on the primary side alone with the 4 hole spacer the car was getting loose on the launch. I am super impressed with the Super Victor I ported in the basement last winter. Dual planes do work very well but on this engine the single plane wins out.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

1980RS wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:06 pm Last time out with the SV on the car it went 11.06 through the mufflers that are at the back of the car. Was messing around with my throttle stop and on the primary side alone with the 4 hole spacer the car was getting loose on the launch. I am super impressed with the Super Victor I ported in the basement last winter. Dual planes do work very well but on this engine the single plane wins out.
I could see that with the additional CID (+50) and some degree of porting on the Vortecs, the SV would become better suited. With an Air Gap arguably good to about 6500 with 350 CID (so says Edelbrock), this doesn't necessarily it's better at the top end of the range (as compared to the SV). Use up some of that airflow capability with the bigger engine and your results speak for themselves.
That said, it would be interesting to see how it would shape up away from the dragstrip and chugging down the highway with the trans in OD and the converter locked. I'm at about 2500 at 75 MPH.