Engine Software

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Engine Software

Post by cgarb »

What are some good useful engine building programs?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert
Re: Engine Software

Post by RDY4WAR »

I use Engine Analyzer Pro and Pipemax.
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

Mike R
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

What took the place of Desktop Dyno and D2k?

I got both in like 2000 or so and know they are probably outdated BUT I would still like to use them just for..

Also have a disc of, "Drag"...

pdq67
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

How to turn GURU in an instant.....
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Caprimaniac!

Well how much is it to buy?

pdq67
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

EngMod4T but a very advanced simulation.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My vote as well, Engine Analyzer and Pipemax.
The main thing to realize is that the old computer rule holds true, garbage in garbage out, you have to take the time to put good numbers into the program, the menus give examples for quick work, but if you want good results, really measure the compression ratio, measure the runner lengths, put in real flow numbers. And don't fall into the trap of making 15HP on software, thinking it will transfer to the real world perfectly, the software is only a tool to show you trends and possibilities.
And I do not know your skill level, but years ago when I first bought engine analyzer, the book that comes with it, taught me a bunch about how an engine works.
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:59 am My vote as well, Engine Analyzer and Pipemax.
The main thing to realize is that the old computer rule holds true, garbage in garbage out
Yes,
One massive advantage Dynomation6 has over the others, access to an encrypted archive of Comp lobes.
Using the lobe database disk the program does not need to guess the lobe motion. This image shows an actual curve vs what the computer thinks it would be guessing from 10 points of data. Garbage in - garbage out.

Mike R
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Pipemax and EngMod4T. Engmod4T seems to have far far better modelling of intake and exhausts compared to the other similar priced programs
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

I've got engine analyzer plus (EA+). Totally worth the upgrade over base (note, I've got plus, not pro).

Easy to use, fast, cheap, pretty close to reality. Lacking in manifold design and especially exhaust. No advanced outputs like you'd get with pro or EngMod4t. Pro is apparently also lacking in exhaust options.

Don't regret it in the slightest, and for most hot rodders it's all you'd ever need, maybe get pipemax too though, to cover the massive exhaust shaped hole in the simulation (EA will let you mess with primary diameter and length, and secondary diameter, which is less than half the story. Pipemax will give you everything)

But I've since advanced my knowledge enough that my next purchase will be EngMod4t. Will likely still use EA+ as well because it's very user friendly and so much faster though.

Get the EA/EA+ free demo from the performance trends website. It's lock to an n/a 302-HO but it allows you to learn a lot about the program and about tuning
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

EA pro and pipemax here.
IF EA pro is too stiff of a cost at the moment start with one of the less detailed versions. When you get to the point that you have more questions and more detailed inputs then step up to Pro.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

For Hot Pass members, I'd recommend checking out this interview in that section.
Interview with Audie Thomas - "Airflow and Cam Testing"

Audie has worked on development of a few engine sims, including an earlier Dynomation version. He heavily stresses the importance of the software having an accurate cam motion file (camDR or other) to work with.
Mike R
skrunk

Post by skrunk »

+1 for EngMod4T.
A good companion text is Dr Gordon Blair's Design Simulation of Four Stroke Engines. Neels, the author of the program, based much of it on Dr Blair's work.