Oil pump cavitation sounds

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Oil pump cavitation sounds

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The cast form of the pump intake is similar to a musical instrument. Maybe FIAT discovered this effect when tilting vehicles on test dynos as Mercedes did and found the cure was off-setting the intake hole. The "screening" is perforated metal which would also have different characteristics than woven mesh. Perhaps a future variable will be altering that. If you form/stamp/press a spherical concavity, that should also work by emulating stiffness found in the perforated sheeting.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Valid comments. I did use an oem screen and cover however on this pump with the hole in the factory offset position. I guess I'll install a mechanical pressure gauge and have a look to see what's happening to the pressure when its singing its tune. Really I dont want to pull it apart in this heat.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

AC sports wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:40 am Valid comments. I did use an oem screen and cover however on this pump with the hole in the factory offset position. I guess I'll install a mechanical pressure gauge and have a look to see what's happening to the pressure when its singing its tune. Really I dont want to pull it apart in this heat.
My apologies. I was using your earlier thread as a reference to current modifications: viewtopic.php?p=856224#p856224
20200401_151223.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Yes. That was another engine. The one in question has the OEM cover over the pickup screen.
The one in the pic actually runs without any funny noises and I did drill the hole central. But I also welded a couple of tabs around the hole to stop any possible vortex forming.
simon010

Post by simon010 »

did the plate on the oil pump have any marks on it .......

rgds
simon
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Haven't pulled the sump off yet Simon.