Machining fuel rail injector ports.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Machining fuel rail injector ports.

Post by Bill Chase »

Anyone doing this without the $130.00 rmr drill bit?

I have access to a bridgeport and it is in great shape, I need the holes .545" (according to some rails off another intake I have)I was thinking drill slightly smaller and then use a shcs counter sink end mill. It would provide a positive stop to keep the injector from going in to far, then just make my stand height tighter than oems do so there is no need for injector clips.

I am not a machinist, but I can run a mill without breaking stuff, and have access to the entire shop.
Any suggestions orgeneral guidelines to follow?
jred
Expert
Expert

Re: Machining fuel rail injector ports.

Post by jred »

did mine on Bridgeport mines for a VW air cooled engine,, figured out the center to center distance set the blank fuel rail up in the mill vice and used the DRO on the mill,, I used a drill bit the size of the hole in the bottom of the stock fuel rail and then used a boring head and carefully bored the first hole to the size needed for the O ring set the depth on the mill and plunge bored the rest of the holes,, took less than and hour to do,, mine was special because I'm using 8 injectors and nobody made what I wanted or needed,, You can buy blank fuel rail material from Ross machine as long as you need..
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Machining fuel rail injector ports.

Post by dannobee »

The actual drill bit works GREAT in the mill. I made a couple of sets that weren't available commercially, so I bought the bit. It cut everything in one fell swoop, all you need to do is set the depth of cut.

I used this one.

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/tool-injec ... ol-rmr-064