Piston skirt differences regarding pin height

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

miniv8
Expert
Expert

Piston skirt differences regarding pin height

Post by miniv8 »

I am currently running Diamond pistons in a 434 SBC with 1.00 piston height designed for 4in stroke. Pistons no 11820

I am wondering if I will lose all piston to crank clearance with a piston with 1.060 piston height designed for 3.875 stroke. Wiseco no K0034B3

I have enough deck height for it, but not sure if the counterweights will pass. It's a rotating assembly from Ohio Crank, the 434NOS kit.

Has anyone used a piston designed for 3.875 on a 4in crank?
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: Piston skirt differences regarding pin height

Post by DCal »

miniv8 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 am I am currently running Diamond pistons in a 434 SBC with 1.00 piston height designed for 4in stroke. Pistons no 11820

I am wondering if I will lose all piston to crank clearance with a piston with 1.060 piston height designed for 3.875 stroke. Wiseco no K0034B3

I have enough deck height for it, but not sure if the counterweights will pass. It's a rotating assembly from Ohio Crank, the 434NOS
Has anyone used a piston designed for 3.875 on a 4in crank?
You're within .0025 of being the same IF the pin hole to pin boss bottom is the same ie .160

More important is the cutter radius under the bottom of the skirt to clear the counterweights. You almost have to have both pistons to check all that.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

The crank grinders seem to do the counterweight for the rod length and about .200 under the pin. The majority of pistons have about .150 under the pin.

As long as you don't change your rod length and run a Top Fuel piston, you should be fine.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

I doubt .0025” would cause a problem unless your counter weights are within a hair of the piston boss bottoms now?

Some pistons have thicker under boss areas than others.

You should be ok even if you have to do a bit of hand grinding to get clearance.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Thanks guys
I'll go for it.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson