oilless engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: oilless engine

Post by englertracing »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:39 pm I think you might be talking about the, "Polimotor"..

Here --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_automotive_engine

I haven't kept up with concept so ain't much help.

pdq67
No that was all about weight...
Using Torlon in place of aluminum.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Belgian1979 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 am Guys,

A question that pertains mostly to engines that drive generators: would it be possible to build an internal combustion engine, especially working on diesel fuel, that would not need oil to lubricate the crankshaft, camshaft, rods etc. ?
I have heard (once upon a time) that GM/Opel had been venturing into something like this but abandonned the project due to too much protest from their dealers...No specific details though.
That sounds like the carburetor that lets your car run on water that Big Oil Conspiracy bought to keep hidden. (It doesn't exist!)

I doubt the automakers care at all what the dealers would complain about. Hell, since oil changes are generally a money losing proposition, they'd probably welcome it!

Ford WAS working on an engine that required no coolant, or at least had extremely high operating temperatures. A very hot engine means better fuel economy since you don't lose combustion energy to a relatively cold engine.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Ford WAS working on an engine that required no coolant, or at least had extremely high operating temperatures. A very hot engine means better fuel economy since you don't lose combustion energy to a relatively cold engine."

Wasn't that something like Smokey's hot air engine??

pdq67