Webers, Dell'Ortos & IR Dominators

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Webers, Dell'Ortos & IR Dominators

Post by Geoff2 »

E49 Valiant Charger had 3 DCOE 45s, 265cu in in-line six, was quicker over the 1/4 mile than a Phase 3 GTHO Falcon.

IDA are a race carb, & have a poor transition cct if used for a road car.

IDF is street friendly, shorter than IDA & a newer design.

Best place I have found for genuine Weber carbs & parts is Racetep, Hollywood, Calif.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

3 speed was aussie content laws, couldn't use an offshore box or they wouldn't meet the % to avoid the extra tarrifs.
Sad reality, given a 4 speed the e49 would have been formidable.

Back on topic, Weber carbs are "capacity limited", they just aren't big enough to supply an IR setup on larger cylinders.
I've put 44mm chokes on 2.2L engines & wanted more, but beyond that in a 48mm carb you start to hurt signal too much & drivability below peak tq really suffers.

IR dominator setup is intriguing, that could supply enough blade for a larger cylinder.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Aren’t Smith Berg pushing out 55mm’s now? I think IDF architecture, not 100% sure.

48mm IDF’s on a 347 sbf here. Yes, too small to deliver max potential above 6000rpm or so?

I refuse to shift below 7000, but how far it will push this time, IDK. Engine is refreshed and was injected for last 6-7 years. But on a 306 setup, I stretched the engine far. I was at 8000 once, but it started slowing down before that...
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Yup, I know Cameron Tilley. He dynoed my engine. His brother Brad ran Webers [ pretty sure they were IDAs ] on an XY GT Falcon in the Touring Car Masters series, pretty competitive.
Using Ws or Ds will depend on what you want to do with the car... Sure, say a V8 with a Victor, big cam & big Holley will make more peak hp, but the W powered car might just sneak by the Holley powered car...which needs to get up to 4000 rpm before it has any power.

Gene Berg in the US was making larger versions of the IDA. D. Vizard dynoed a 427 Ford with 58 IDA Berg carbs & it made 652 ft/lbs of tq & 702 hp.

48 IDAs on a 355 Chev made 520 hp & 470 ft/lbs of tq.
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

An IR carburetor's WOT circuit is designed to use the very long vacuum delay between intake strokes for enrichment.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Gene Berg, yes. Not available anymore?

Webpage is "outdated" but I did find prices etc after a search. Even 60mm IDA's. http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=8_240_2841
How to turn GURU in an instant.....