Damper hub question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cncguy987
Damper hub question

Post by cncguy987 »

I have a call into ATI but since I won't get a call back until Tuesday, I thought I would also ask here. The damper is approximately 3 inches from the front face of the damper to the rear face of the hub. Is that length critical to the function of the damper? Would the damper not function correctly if I milled an inch of the hub? Doing this to align the belts and dry sump components.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Damper hub question

Post by lefty o »

the further out it is, the more its going to be effective, as its on the end of the shaft. however i speculate in the real world the difference in effectiveness should be pretty miniscule. i myself would probably be more concerned with the fact you will have less contact are between the hub and the crank snout, and less effective keyway. as in it would now be more likely to slip/spin on the crank.
cncguy987

Post by cncguy987 »

I have a ry45 damper that has 5 studs and a dowel pin. And no keyway. Thank you for your input.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

What did ATI say?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
cncguy987

Post by cncguy987 »

Well, alot of it was over my head but the rotating weight, rpm etc is all depended on the different rubber rings you can put in the dampener. The ry45 has no hub like any sbf or sbc has. You could easily take the hub off any damper if the rubber rings used where made for that situation. I would double keyway the snout for the reasons a previous post said.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A crankshaft damper works on torsional vibrations so its distance from the front main is pretty much irrelevant.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:18 pm A crankshaft damper works on torsional vibrations so its distance from the front main is pretty much irrelevant.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6089204A/en (Example)

I think ATI offers custom hubs in combination with an engineering fee. It would be an ideal world if axial vibrations were not an issue with high speed/output engines -- errr, motors. :wink:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!