Watered gas.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Watered gas.

Post by pdq67 »

I'm putting this here because I figure more will see it is all.

I have like 14 or so gallons of watered down pump gas for my lawnmower in say 5 small red plastic gas cans.

Seems my airhead Son left the empty, open cans in the back of his P/U and of course before he refilled them so we could mow our yard, it rained.

Should I just bite the bullet and pitch the crap? Treat it with WHAT? Or just try to use it up??

And as always, thanks for any advice..

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Watered gas.

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Cement kiln.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

What I’ve done 30 years ago was letting it sit and siphoning the water off from the bottom of the clear canister. This was of course before the E10 etc.

The stories go that during the wars there was gasoline ethanol mix in the fuel depot. Mixing in water and letting it sit you could get diluted ethanol out of the fuel, which after some tricks could be drunk. Of course the downside was that if they used methanol, you died.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://tannersselect.com/using-a-chamoi ... ng%20fuel.

Real chamois is needed.

I know my Brother would be using it to start a big bonfire on his property in Indiana.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Kevin,

I don't have a real real chamois or a big clear jug to see the layered water.

So i guess I will very carefully use it up by not shaking my gas cans until i use it up.

And right about the cement kilns burning the stuff as HAZ Waste fuel.

I have been in AND worked in more cement kilns than I can remember.

I dearly loved being able to get inside Holcim's Clarksville, MO Dundee Plant before it was shut down.

It was a cement making wet process and the kiln was I think unless the Japs had one longer was the largest rotary cement kiln in the world.

Wet end 25' in dia. then necked down to I think 23' and was 750' long and on pedestals 50' in the air.

The kiln steel shell was like 2"s thick.

Holcim shut it down and built a large pre-heater tower cement plant over by the MO River by Ste. Genevieve, MO but I never got to visit the plant before I retired from AP Green Refractories, Mexico, MO. You can see the lights of the plant going north at night on I-55 south of St. Louis, by Ste. Genevieve, MO.

pdq67
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:30 pm I'm putting this here because I figure more will see it is all.

I have like 14 or so gallons of watered down pump gas for my lawnmower in say 5 small red plastic gas cans.

Seems my airhead Son left the empty, open cans in the back of his P/U and of course before he refilled them so we could mow our yard, it rained.

Should I just bite the bullet and pitch the crap? Treat it with WHAT? Or just try to use it up??

And as always, thanks for any advice..

pdq67
Really simple IF the gas cans are the older ones with the vent cap and fill cap. If so, turn the can upside down so the vent cap is at the lowest point, assuming the vent cap will not come open. Let the can sit for a couple of hours or overnight. Open the vent carefully, maybe not all the way and the water will drain out. Water is heavier and will go to the lowest point. Drain until you have gas coming out. You could also get some methanol from a racer and do about 10 percent methanol to gas. Technically the methanol should absorb the water so you can burn it. The draining is by far the best method.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Old School,

That's a dammed good idea!

Never thought of it.

My red plastic cans do have vents on them so all I need to do is figure out how to put them, "up-right", so they will settle out the water so I can drain it off.

pdq67
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

How much water can be in there? You use uncovered pails or typical gas containers?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

Pour it into a old gallon milk jug (cleaned out) let settle, and see what you're dealing with..........
Ed
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Just use it, little bit of water in gas only matter if there's freezing temperature and fuel pickup freeze. And to prevent that you just add alcohol to gas to solve that water into gas instead of it freezing in tank bottom.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

delegate responsibility for acceptable resolution to aforementioned "airhead son."
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

a bottle of HEAT will help (its mostly alcohol).
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

I think, not sure, haven't tried it, but I think the super-absorbent polymer in disposable diapers will absorb free water from gas. Don't know what the gas or ethanol will do to the polymer. Somebody needs ot do an expirement, and since the OP has the opportunity ... we await your detailed report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superabsorbent_polymer

https://www.oilybits.com/oilybits-super ... stals.html
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

lefty o wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:30 am a bottle of HEAT will help (its mostly alcohol).
Adding Methanol (HEAT) to ethanol blend gas with water in it will make the some or all of water separate from the gas and fall out to the bottom. The methanol replaces H2O in the solution of ethanol and water and the water falls off. How much water separates from the ethanol depends on the temperature.

I know this will happen because I have seen this occur. When a splash of HEAT was added to two inches of gas that appeared to have no water in a 3LB coffee can it turned cloudy for a moment and then cleared up with about 1/4" of water separated on the bottom. The amount of water was much less than the amount of HEAT that was added.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:09 pm http://tannersselect.com/using-a-chamoi ... ng%20fuel.

Real chamois is needed.

I know my Brother would be using it to start a big bonfire on his property in Indiana.
Yep a real chamois should work, we used to filter alcohol back in the day this way, and it took out the water.