Stock Eliminator secrets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: Stock Eliminator secrets?

Post by tenxal »

The takeaway from this is.....you have to run what is accepted, per the NHRA. You accept that as part of the deal when you race in Stock Eliminator class. It's also a big part of what you look at when researching a possible build. What's available? What's accepted? What's the potential? What are the downsides you have to work with?

Doing the best with very little is both the appeal 8) and the frustration :x of racing an NHRA Stocker.

As far as 'tricks' go...the more you work with this stuff, the more you really get back to refining the basics. Stable valve train, good exhaust flow, minimizing intake charge contamination, oil control, rotational friction, cam lobe phasing, etc. Start with a good basic setup but let your own testing determine where you go. If it doesn't follow the path of others, that's cool. There is often more than one approach that can put the pancakes on the table.

Looking at how other types of racing does things can also open up new areas of potential. For example, Bill Jenkins noted that some of his gains came from looking at how motorcycle racers were doing things.
sc2dave
Expert
Expert
Location: Los Angeles, in The People's republic of Kalifornia

Post by sc2dave »

I thought this post was for tricks, not conversation on oil pans.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

sc2dave wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:06 pm I thought this post was for tricks, not conversation on oil pans.
You missed one of the important tricks then. Oil control goes beyond just stock eliminator.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

tenxal wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:40 am The takeaway from this is.....you have to run what is accepted, per the NHRA. You accept that as part of the deal when you race in Stock Eliminator class. It's also a big part of what you look at when researching a possible build. What's available? What's accepted? What's the potential? What are the downsides you have to work with?

Doing the best with very little is both the appeal 8) and the frustration :x of racing an NHRA Stocker.

As far as 'tricks' go...the more you work with this stuff, the more you really get back to refining the basics. Stable valve train, good exhaust flow, minimizing intake charge contamination, oil control, rotational friction, cam lobe phasing, etc. Start with a good basic setup but let your own testing determine where you go. If it doesn't follow the path of others, that's cool. There is often more than one approach that can put the pancakes on the table.

Looking at how other types of racing does things can also open up new areas of potential. For example, Bill Jenkins noted that some of his gains came from looking at how motorcycle racers were doing things.
Can you post a pic of your stock eliminator and it’s best et&mph ?

How far are you running under the index?
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

that fe pan isn't any deeper or better than a factory pan .... Just a few baffles[/quote]

Well then...that’s compare apples to apples:
Here’s that “FE pan that isn’t any deeper than a factory pan”

And here’s a Scott Drake reproduction FE ’67-’70 Mustang oil pan:

You don’t see any differences?

All in good fun because if that big bus / dump-truck pan was available to me, I’d run it in a heartbeat!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

They are different colors!
DON'T PANIC
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm Can you post a pic of your stock eliminator and it’s best et&mph ? How far are you running under the index?
Happy to.

The car is a '68 Chevy II, 327-275 h.p. that runs in G/SA class. The NHRA index for G/SA is 12.00. If the track is above 1,500 ft, the index is adjusted from that.

This is at Pierre, S.D. this season. Index there is 12.15. The car went 11.155 (-.995 under the index). The 11.14 on the side window indicates the dial in for that round:

A couple from Rock Falls, Wisconsin. Went a best of 11.126 on the 12.00 G/SA index (-.874 under):

At Thunder Valley in Marion, S.D. last weekend. The index there is 12.30, as it's an IHRA track but has no altitude factor. Index is 12.30, qualified # 2 on Saturday with an 11.1305 (-1.1695 under):

On Sunday, was the #3 qualifier at 11.1260 (-1.1740 under):

At Earlville, Iowa (Tri State Dragway) this season, the car went into the 10's for the first time. On the 12.0 NHRA index there (no altitude correction) it went 10.95, 10.94 and two 10.96's. Getting into the 10's and running a full one second under on a non-altitude ajusted track has been my goal since I started this project in late 2013.

Matt Steen (lt) and Jason Verke (rt) of Victory Engines in Marshall, Mn. These two are extremely talented machining artists that are constantly looking for improvements. I'd be nowhere without their help!

My good friend Bob Sherwood also figures into this. His private dyno facility is a big part of my program. His expertise in data acquisition and analysis has been invaluable.

If you require further confirmation, Speed-Talk forum member 'vortecpro' can also attest to the car's credentials. I'm also on the B.O.D. of Midwest Class Racers, an organization that promotes Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As well, the car has been extensively documented on Classracer.com under the 'Build' section. Following this link will get you there:

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=50790

Al Nyhus
Sioux Falls, S.D.
5468 G/SA
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Heres what I'am waiting for and its been a long wait: GM Rocket when are going to post those dyno sheets from the 3 different dyno's tests you claim to have from your Olds build over on that obscure Olds forum?
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

tenxal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:18 am
gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm Can you post a pic of your stock eliminator and it’s best et&mph ? How far are you running under the index?
Happy to.

The car is a '68 Chevy II, 327-275 h.p. that runs in G/SA class. The NHRA index for G/SA is 12.00. If the track is above 1,500 ft, the index is adjusted from that.

This is at Pierre, S.D. this season. Index there is 12.15. The car went 11.155 (-.995 under the index). The 11.14 on the side window indicates the dial in for that round:

A couple from Rock Falls, Wisconsin. Went a best of 11.126 on the 12.00 G/SA index (-.874 under):

At Thunder Valley in Marion, S.D. last weekend. The index there is 12.30, as it's an IHRA track but has no altitude factor. Index is 12.30, qualified # 2 on Saturday with an 11.1305 (-1.1695 under):

At Earlville, Iowa (Tri State Dragway) this season, the car went into the 10's for the first time. On the 12.0 NHRA index there (no altitude correction) it went 10.95, 10.94 and two 10.96's. Getting into the 10's and running a full one second under on a non-altitude ajusted track has been my goal since I started this project in late 2013.

Matt Steen (lt) and Jason Verke (rt) of Victory Engines in Marshall, Mn. These two are extremely talented machining artists that are constantly looking for improvements. I'd be nowhere without their help!

My good friend Bob Sherwood also figures into this. His private dyno facility is a big part of my program. His expertise in data acquisition and analysis has been invaluable.

If you require further confirmation, Speed-Talk forum member 'vortecpro' can also attest to the car's credentials. I'm also on the B.O.D. of Midwest Class Racers, an organization that promotes Stock/Super Stock races in South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. As well, the car has been extensively documented on Classracer.com under the 'Build' section. Following this link will get you there:

Al Nyhus
Sioux Falls, S.D.
5468 G/SA
Thanks for the info..looks like your knocking on the national record...10.8 correct ?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

vortecpro wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:00 am Heres what I'am waiting for and its been a long wait: GM Rocket when are going to post those dyno sheets from the 3 different dyno's tests you claim to have from your Olds build over on that obscure Olds forum?
Huh?

Refresh my memory,, if it’s the engine masters I already posted all the dyno sheets on that and they are easily found searching engine masters.

What specific info where you desperately waiting for?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Wasn't you that came to CutlasEFI"s defense regarding some ridiculous TQ to CU IN claims he was making with his inaccurate dyno testing over on the REAL OLDS forum?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:05 am
tenxal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:18 am
Happy to.

Al Nyhus
Sioux Falls, S.D.
5468 G/SA
Thanks for the info..looks like your knocking on the national record...10.8 correct ?
Keep in mind, were this car is raced you will NEVER get into good conditions, and what I mean by good conditions is the type of conditions one sees on the east coast or upper west coast and thats a 30.20 or better barometer.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:05 amThanks for the info..looks like your knocking on the national record...10.8 correct ?
If an NHRA National Record has not been set in a class for two years, it reverts back to what's called the 'Minimum' , which is .50 under the class Index. At this point in time, the G/SA National Record is at Minimum, or 11.50.

Of further note is that in NHRA Division 5 (where I race), there are at least two cars in G/SA that can run .015-.018 faster than mine, at will.

We keep working.

tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

vortecpro wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:24 amKeep in mind, were this car is raced you will NEVER get into good conditions, and what I mean by good conditions is the type of conditions one sees on the east coast or upper west coast and thats a 30.20 or better barometer.
Amen to that!

At Earlville, the baro was 29.05, DA was 2600+ and the humidity was 48%. For us, that's 'killer air'. :D
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

tenxal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 am
gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:05 amThanks for the info..looks like your knocking on the national record...10.8 correct ?
If an NHRA National Record has not been set in a class for two years, it reverts back to what's called the 'Minimum' , which is .50 under the class Index. At this point in time, the G/SA National Record is at Minimum, or 11.50.

Of further note is that in NHRA Division 5 (where I race), there are at least two cars in G/SA that can run .015-.018 faster than mine, at will.

We keep working.

that 10.8 @ 122.8 in 2018 went down this season