Stock Eliminator secrets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Re: Stock Eliminator secrets?

Post by chevyfreak »

Details i have on the qjet sec rods and hanger.

Chevyfreak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowtie for life
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I've always found this type racing interesting not that I've done it or any class racing myself, I'm more of a budget street guy. Grew up watching people blow up expensive engines all the time and decided to build mild more reliable engines and try to make gains on the rest. Very interesting stuff, not always budget friendly but still useful in understanding things.

Odds n ends are a lot of work and why my car runs faster than it should, beat guys with more power and better parts plenty of times.

Owens used a bowtie block, I asked him bout the holes years ago.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

tenxal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:54 am With a Physics background, I can likely extrapolate without need to sharpen a pencil nor dust off an abacus. :wink:

Back to our regularly scheduled program. Here's a NHRA accepted (stock depth) oil pan for a Stocker. Looking beyond the obvious, what's there that makes it work so well?

Apologies to those that don't like oil pan talk. :lol:

I like that rear anti climb baffle, only noticed some aftermarket pans with those a few yrs ago. But those use a straight piece, I'll have to make mine sim to that one for the stock pick-up stock pan I'm gonna mod. People always call those side baffles a pan scrapper but I've always thought of em as a side anti-climb baffles as well, more so for a kick-out-less pan.

tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

BOOT wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:39 amI like that rear anti climb baffle, only noticed some aftermarket pans with those a few yrs ago. But those use a straight piece, I'll have to make mine sim to that one for the stock pick-up stock pan I'm gonna mod.
This approach works well and offers some additional benefits.

tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

novadude wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 amLooking very close at the pic of the secondary air bleed tubes... depth would matter, as does position of Holley Emulsion bleeds. Do class rules allow you to modify those tubes? I've got some thoughts....
The secondary air bleeds orifice/depth/height and the secondary pull over enrichment system are two areas that need addressing on a QJet. On the primary side, it may be beneficial to eliminate the metering rods....it depends on the specific car.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

tenxal wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:35 pm
BOOT wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:39 amI like that rear anti climb baffle, only noticed some aftermarket pans with those a few yrs ago. But those use a straight piece, I'll have to make mine sim to that one for the stock pick-up stock pan I'm gonna mod.
This approach works well and offers some additional benefits.

Got that same pic! Also one of the tings I'd like to try n make.

tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Back to work. A good title for this pic would be: Three hundredths for three bucks. :wink:

1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Hmm does this engine use pushrods and studs for the rockers.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

tenxal wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:46 pm
novadude wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:44 amLooking very close at the pic of the secondary air bleed tubes... depth would matter, as does position of Holley Emulsion bleeds. Do class rules allow you to modify those tubes? I've got some thoughts....
The secondary air bleeds orifice/depth/height and the secondary pull over enrichment system are two areas that need addressing on a QJet. On the primary side, it may be beneficial to eliminate the metering rods....it depends on the specific car.
Do class rules allow you to modify those tubes at all (additional holes, etc). Talking about the bleed tubes AND the POE tubes.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

1972ho wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 amHmm does this engine use pushrods and studs for the rockers.
Per NHRA rules, the valve train style must remain as original...no shafts if originally studs.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

novadude wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am Do class rules allow you to modify those tubes at all (additional holes, etc). Talking about the bleed tubes AND the POE tubes.
Yes. We do a lot of work in that area.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

tenxal wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:56 am
novadude wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:31 am Do class rules allow you to modify those tubes at all (additional holes, etc). Talking about the bleed tubes AND the POE tubes.
Yes. We do a lot of work in that area.
I'd ask you to share, but I'm sure you don't want to give away your secrets. LOL I love playing with these carbs for my street car... always looking to find ways to improve the already-great Q-jet.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

novadude wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:23 pm I love playing with these carbs for my street car... always looking to find ways to improve the already-great Q-jet.
To get things really right requires going beyond jets/hangers/metering rods. As you know, these QJets are pretty sophisticated...basically multiple, very controlled, air leaks.

It's also important to note that due to it's triple venturi design (the notable exception being a few of the Pontiac SD/HO carbs that have a double primary booster), fully 40% of fuel flow through a QJet at W.O.T. comes from the primary side.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

A big part of my program has been the Elston 4-2-1 headers. We were testing headers and had four sets on the engine during one dyno session. What we saw with the Elston's led me to further conversation with Calvin and further gains both on the dyno and at the track. Where we ended up is about 180 degrees from how most approach things with a 305 or 350 Stocker engine, but it's worked well.

You have to have a good short block with minimal rotating drag, good heads and intake. Given that, I can't imagine doing another Stocker without starting with a set of Calvin's 4-2-1's and working backwards....starting at the collector and ending up at the cam.

On the dyno, we test the headers as they are run on the car. :wink:

jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

hmmm interesting approach. Start with the headers then build the engine around them. Being a novice I'm trying to under stand your approach. The class is restricted to what heads, intake and carburetor that the factory put on that engine so there isn't much you can do with them, so you tune the camshaft to the combination. Correct??
As far as the short block, what is a good inch pound number for a stock eliminator engine. Care to comment on the piston and ring package.
Thanks for your professional input and practical experience to this thread.