Stock Eliminator secrets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Iron Icon
Re: Stock Eliminator secrets?

Post by The Iron Icon »

Thanks, looks like I have some weekend reading now.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:16 am
The Iron Icon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 am
gmrocket wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Those “vent” holes in the LS mains you’re taking about were first used by GM 45 years ago on the 260 olds when they were chasing every last mpg they could get during the gas crunch era

It was to reduce pumping losses in the crankcase which helped free up power...and mpg

GM used that the following years in the 350 and 403 olds..the old wives tale that it was to reduce weight and casting costs is not true

There is a very detailed technical paper online that Chrysler paid some outside engineer to do on crankcase pumping loses and reductions down to cylinder to cylinder venting ...it even has the vent hole sizes being different for the Center 4 cylinders than the outer 4

I used a vented main webbed block in the 2008 and 2011 EMC for that exact reason...in 2008 I was torn down for a photo shoot and questioning...the holes where clearly visible,, but was never asked why they were there
Any idea where I could find a copy of that paper?
here it is. the conclusion for the vent passages between cylinders for cyl to cyl venting was to make the holes as large as possible and to promote ease of air exchange, smooth rounded edges and also not make the block weaker by doing so. the holes in the olds blocks are really quite large.

150+ pages which includes many other tests on reducing crankcase pumping losses

https://scholar.uwindsor.ca/cgi/viewcon ... ontext=etd
That is an extremely valuable resource. Thank you posting it.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

RDY4WAR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:29 am
The Iron Icon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 am

Any idea where I could find a copy of that paper?
here it is. the conclusion for the vent passages between cylinders for cyl to cyl venting was to make the holes as large as possible and to promote ease of air exchange, smooth rounded edges and also not make the block weaker by doing so. the holes in the olds blocks are really quite large.

you're welcome. there are some really interesting findings in that paper...like how on that small V6 the negative work(higher pumping losses) were on just one side of the engine, while there was positive pumping gains on the other,,,very slight. but on average it was negative pumping losses for the whole crankcase,,,one rear cylinder having the worst loss, front the least loss because its next to a larger open area due to the timing chain area etc.

then the three tests with vent holes of 25mm, 30mm and 35mm,,the bigger the better as it kept dropping the pumping losses as rpm increased
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm

you're welcome. there are some really interesting findings in that paper...like how on that small V6 the negative work(higher pumping losses) were on just one side of the engine, while there was positive pumping gains on the other,,,very slight. but on average it was negative pumping losses for the whole crankcase,,,one rear cylinder having the worst loss, front the least loss because its next to a larger open area due to the timing chain area etc.

then the three tests with vent holes of 25mm, 30mm and 35mm,,the bigger the better as it kept dropping the pumping losses as rpm increased
Not allowable with a Stocker but, That is one of the reasons why the largest volume oil pan you can fit will help.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:10 pm
gmrocket wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Not allowable with a Stocker but, That is one of the reasons why the largest volume oil pan you can fit will help.
I may be remembering it wrong, but I think Engine Masters compared a dragster pan to a rear sump car pan and found more power with the car pan.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

I noticed the following line on page 57 from the paper linked above.
In any case, also a too low pressure inside the crankcase is not optimal for the engine
because below the crankcase, in normal wet sump engine, there is also the oil in the oil
pan; the oil property and motion will be affected by the too low pressure level, increasing
even more the splashing.
This seems odd to me as I figured the more you can scavenge the crankcase, the lower the crankcase pressure, the better with the only downside possibly being leaks with elastomer seals. I figured a lower crankcase pressure would make it that much easier for the oil to drop to the tank and out of the windage cloud. Maybe this will be explained further down as I keep reading. Any thoughts?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

racear2865 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:13 pm
1980RS wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 pm
1972ho wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 pm Stocker bottom end
What's the purpose of the holes in the bottom of the cyls? Something to do with crankcase venting?
equalize pressures that are developed
reed
Sort of
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

1972ho wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 pm Stocker bottom end
Is this a pic of the bottom end of that chevelle stocker using the 305 bowtie GM block built by BES?
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

RDY4WAR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm I may be remembering it wrong, but I think Engine Masters compared a dragster pan to a rear sump car pan and found more power with the car pan.
Weird...

I remember Lingenfelter saying he wanted to run a Corvette in Comp (or Super Stock) versus the typical Camaro because that chassis could run a full length oil pan and not just limited to a rear sump. The cross member issue.

Worth more power he said.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

In a traditional internal oil pump/wet sump application:

-Is it advantageous to pull a slight vacuum in the pan, if possible?
-Are there any detriments to doing this?
-Is some positive pressure in the crankcase ever a good thing?
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

EDC wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 pm
RDY4WAR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:25 pm I may be remembering it wrong, but I think Engine Masters compared a dragster pan to a rear sump car pan and found more power with the car pan.
Weird...

I remember Lingenfelter saying he wanted to run a Corvette in Comp (or Super Stock) versus the typical Camaro because that chassis could run a full length oil pan and not just limited to a rear sump. The cross member issue.

Worth more power he said.
That was episode 56. The Moroso car pan was worth +27 hp over the Milodon dragster pan. However, the Moroso pan had a kickout to it where as the Milodon pan did not. Moroso in blue, Milodon in red.
Engine Masters oil pan test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

The increased power came from the kickout and whatever they were running for a scraper and/or windage screen, not where the sump was. If legal in class, run the biggest kickout you can, and put a smaller starter on it and run an even bigger kickout.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Typical BS testing.

Let them try this dragster pan...

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

tenxal wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 pm In a traditional internal oil pump/wet sump application:

-Is it advantageous to pull a slight vacuum in the pan, if possible?
-Are there any detriments to doing this?
-Is some positive pressure in the crankcase ever a good thing?
I thought for a while on these three questions,I doubt there is a simple answer...
I think vacuum in the crankcase would always be an advantage but not always achievable even with a vacuum pump as in more horsepower on the dyno.
The return for effort may be lost as in losing hp to turn a vac pump,depends on oil pan design as well.
Positive pressure i don't know but referring back to the picture of the 327 on dyno measuring blow by, shows where maybe equality ( if possible) of pressure in the engine might help by putting it upstairs in the valley area or valve covers and away from crankshaft.
I am wondering if the gauge measuring CFM or PSI for blow by ?? I can not tell by photo.
I kinda suspect there is a fair amount of oil restricted to the rockers even at the cost of valve spring life to stop oil from travelling back down to fall on rotating assembly but this is a uneducated guess on my part. :D
I think this is a excellent thread.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

A lot of some these things are not allowed on a stock eliminator engine no vacuum pumps,no big oil pans only a stock replacement no pan evacuation system.