Stock Eliminator secrets?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DeezNutz
Re: Stock Eliminator secrets?

Post by DeezNutz »

Easy things, air up the front tires as far as you dare. This makes them bigger and you get a little more run at it before the beams are broken. Also angle stage the car slightly, this has the same affect. Also put some stagger in the front wheels, moving one front wheel forward of the other increases the time the car will remain in the staging beams and thus give more of a running start.
Drain out about a quart of oil from the pan. Less windage = more hp.
Ice the intake manifold down and keep the hood open, and push the car up the staging lanes, hot oil, cool water, cold intake, the car will go quicker. Just be sure to take the ice bags out and clean up the water with a towel before you run or the track staff are not going to be happy with you.
May seem quite small, but class racing is a whole bunch of small things, that add up to very impressive runs.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have a friend that is an A/Stocker with a 396 car that has not had good luck with it. I have been telling him for years to think outside the box a little and don't be a pocket book racer. A/S is a deadly class, you better be spot if you plan to win.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

The true essence of stock died with roller rockers, intake runner CC volumes, (we know you’re porting heads) and lack of tear downs and tech officials that know what a proper bowl looks like on a 70 400 Pontiac and a 66 426 Hemi.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

wouldnt be a secret if it was posted publicly. Many cars you wont see their full potential, by choice, until required.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Efficient drivetrain!

The NMRA Coyote Stock class is an example of efficient chassis.

Sealed engines, sealed tune, same weight, same fuel, 7700 RPM limited....

At 3100 pounds, they have run super low tens in average air.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

rustbucket79 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 pmThe true essence of stock died with roller rockers, intake runner CC volumes, (we know you’re porting heads) and lack of tear downs and tech officials that know what a proper bowl looks like on a 70 400 Pontiac and a 66 426 Hemi.
The after market rocker rule is one that made sense and should have been in place even before the valve spring rule was lifted.

When the valve spring rule was lifted, the 'stock rocker arm' rule was kept in place. The rockers became the weak link in the chain..no telling how many engines were lost or damaged from rocker failure. In the case of the big block Chevy stuff, some savvy racers developed a 9/16" stud/rocker/ball assembly that while heavy, helped with breakage. The problem was, this 'stock' setup was close to $1,000 while a quality roller rocker set was about half that. There's generally little or no gain with a roller rocker (just the opposite is possible for those who actually test this stuff :wink: ).

The intake/exhaust runner volumes are also a way to try to control the creative head work. In general, it works well. However, as NHRA reduced funding of the Technical Services personel at both the Divisional and National level, racers and engine shops continued down the path of covering up the work....to the point that a set of really good Stocker heads now requires significant money to be spent just to cover up the work that's been done.

As a racer, you can either accept that and allocate the resources or be conservative and not be as quick as the fast guys.

There is a lot of E.T. in the drive train and other places that you can 'find' for a fraction of the money spent on head and intake work.

I race with and respect people that take both approaches.

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

There is a very simple and effective way to get around the port CC volumes. I’ve used it to get back to the spec CC’s when reshaping the port and you end up with a reduced CC.

Especially on the exhaust where many factory ex ports are way to big and totally the wrong shape.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Anybody ever get caught with a sneaky pete, or whatever they're called.
BTW a little off topic but where did the Wayne county guys hide their's.
Jim
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

77cruiser wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:13 pm Anybody ever get caught with a sneaky pete, or whatever they're called.
BTW a little off topic but where did the Wayne county guys hide their's.

:D
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

DeezNutz wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:04 pm When running stock eliminator run a super stock short block and hope they never want a piston out.
When running a super stocker run a comp eliminator short block... and again pray about not getting picked to pull a piston and rod.

And acid port the heads or port and cover it up with spray weld in stock... NHRA wouldn't know what a "stock" head even looks like anymore.
Wow! lots of ignorance on your statement!

Myself and many of my friends that build Stock and Super Stock engines have been torn down, had to pull a rod and piston and been found legal. The key of making power is R&D and many hours of testing. Includes selecting the right parts, going through lots of castings and knowing the rules. The ones that go fast, spend the money and time on good parts and testing. Many that don't go fast, they do not want to spend the time and money to do so. They just want to bolt it together and expect to go fast.

You would be surprised of how many inspectors know what they are looking for, especially if you have to deal with Wesley Roberson.
DeezNutz

Post by DeezNutz »

nhrastocker wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:21 pm
DeezNutz wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:04 pm When running stock eliminator run a super stock short block and hope they never want a piston out.
When running a super stocker run a comp eliminator short block... and again pray about not getting picked to pull a piston and rod.

And acid port the heads or port and cover it up with spray weld in stock... NHRA wouldn't know what a "stock" head even looks like anymore.
Wow! lots of ignorance on your statement!

Myself and many of my friends that build Stock and Super Stock engines have been torn down, had to pull a rod and piston and been found legal. The key of making power is R&D and many hours of testing. Includes selecting the right parts, going through lots of castings and knowing the rules. The ones that go fast, spend the money and time on good parts and testing. Many that don't go fast, they do not want to spend the time and money to do so. They just want to bolt it together and expect to go fast.

You would be surprised of how many inspectors know what they are looking for, especially if you have to deal with Wesley Roberson.
What decade was the last time you had a piston and rod out?

Seriously, tech for the last number of years is a joke, no tear downs like in the past.
I have been with a team through teardown with Wesley. We set records, got the random teardown pick, #1 qualifier teardown also. The combo was totally legal. We also had to show several "tech" guys just how to measure everything, they were just incompetent with precision instruments.

Dont take offense to my statement, I was just making a statement about the current BS of today's class racing. Lots of people would be in trouble if they started actually doing teardowns again. All of the combinations that I was around were legal.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Any person that has actually ported cylinder heads and intake manifolds for any length of time can tell immediately if a head has been acid ported, or hit with the sandblaster/steel shot media to make the port look stock. Any time you touch a port, it leaves a sign and those who have experience can spot the supposed concealed work. Measuring ccs will spot a "worked" head instantly. Joe-71
Joe-71
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

What NHRA should do it tell all who race stock and super stock if you get torn down we will post pictures of all your work for everyone to see publicly. That would end the cheating right there and expose those who do. So you want to cheat on your heads? go ahead and I get to see what you did. :mrgreen:
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

tenxal wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:39 amThese cars are extremely aggressive in the 60 foot/330 foot. Then they have to carry that through the gear changes all the way to the finish line without nosing over at 1,300 and getting picked off in the last 20 feet. If you look at the 60/330 foot times of these cars and compare them to bracket style cars, you'll quickly connect the dots.
I've been trying to study this part pretty extensively. I know stockers run some rather steep gearing. Are they aiming for 200-400 rpm above peak HP at the top end or are they letting it ring out 1000+ rpm. Are they gearing for it to pull all the way through or do they have their tongue out on yhe top end just waiting for the finish line?
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

very nice Artice + great Engine Parts Pics .... about NHRA L/SA Stocker 283cid Chevy
with Engine by Tony Bischoff of BES Racing

Wade Owens 1966 Chevelle

11.571 ET @ 113 MPH

Peak TQ = 342.0 at 5000 RPM
Peak HP = 373.0 at 6500 RPM

As of this writing, the car has garnered eight class wins and six No. 1
qualifying positions and has run as fast as 11.571 in L/Stock Automatic.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1209em- ... 283-chevy/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com