SBC LT1 / vortec compatability

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

SBC LT1 / vortec compatability

Post by prairiehotrodder »

will the cam / lifters and the rods / pistons out of a 93 buick roadmaster LT1 go into a 96-98 350 vortec truck engine ? I have the roadmaster engine and i'm trying to build another ultra low buck JY motor for my sons jr. street drag car 1980 malibu 4 door. I haven't taken the motor apart yet but i 'm thinking it might have factory flat top pistons, powder metal rods and a bigger cam than the vortec truck motor ? can anyone verify this ?
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Re: SBC LT1 / vortec compatability

Post by turbo camino »

Roadmaster didn't get the LT1 until '94. The '94-'96 B body cam is essentially identical to the L31. I don't think the other parts are any different (better) than what would be in the L31 already, either.
DON'T PANIC
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

sorry, my roadmaster is the 94. So the flattops and the better cam is just a myth ?
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The camshafts are within less than .010" lift difference at the valve and 1* at .050, small enough that it could be down to nothing more than being measured by two different people. Nothing there. Except, some of the early B body cams had a fuel pump lobe. None of the L31s did.

The L31 pistons have a much better ring pack. If the LT1 pistons do turn out to be FTs make sure to verify the compression height, otherwise you could get fooled into trading a small dish with better quench for the same effective compression ratio with worse quench. The L31 dish is not that extreme.
DON'T PANIC
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

well thanks for the info. Good to know. I've mainly been playing with TBI truck motors. The car is limited to 9.0 in the 1/8 mile for the IHRA Jr. street program. Last year it had a stock TBI 350 out of a 94 pickup with headers and a Q-jet on a stock iron 4 barrel intake. It would squeal the tires and went pretty decent for a bunch of wore out junk. I sold that motor and put in another 94 TBI 350 truck engine but this time i swapped in all the vortec roller cam stuff (not the heads). It was slower. I bet the vortec roller cam made 40 less hp than the stock TBI flat tappet cam. Didn't expect that. It still runs fine and we drive it 2 hours to the track. I'm gonna sell this motor and try mixing and matching a bunch more junk and see what happens. Its kinda fun. I have 4 more TBI motors to play with and the vortec motors turn up in my JY once in awhile to but usually they have cracked heads.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I bet I know where you got that about the cam being bigger - the 'baby LT1' (L99) had, I believe, the LT4 camshaft but with 1.5:1 rockers for less lift. It was something like 203/210 @.050.

The L31/B-body cams, according to my notes...
191/196 .418/.430 111*
vs
190/195 .412/.423 111*
...not even gonna tell you which is which cause it don't matter.

I have a similar leftover-parts engine. 1995 TBI truck block, L31 pistons/rods, B-body roller cam (got to have that fuel pump lobe), 55cc '113 aluminum L98 heads, Bowtie ZZ4 intake, Qjet.
DON'T PANIC
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Seems strange that the stock TBI cam was faster, as it is a tiny little thing...like 178/194@.050 or there about with very low lift. Are you running a really tall gear?
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

travis wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:50 am Seems strange that the stock TBI cam was faster, as it is a tiny little thing...like 178/194@.050 or there about with very low lift. Are you running a really tall gear?
the car has 3.42 gear and a stock torque convertor in a turbo 350.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

The truck Vortec's are not compatible with the LT1 engine, but you can use the later LT1 cast iron heads and port those to run form the 95-96 B-body cars. Don't go hog wild and port the crap our of them, they don't need it to make good power. Just a good 3 angle seat valve job and bowl porting is all that needed. Do not port match them , you don't need to. If I can run a high 10 sec time with not much port work on a Vortec head, just think how just a little work will do for your engine.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

just to update this thread, i tore down my 94 buick roadmaster LT1 and it does have flat top pistons. In fact for a very high mileage motor the whole rotating assembly was in excellent condition. No skirt wear that i can see. I'm most likely going to find a TBI 350 (cheap and plentiful) and put in these pistons, maybe a small cam and have fun. If i happen to find a roller block TBI engine then i'll also use this LT1 camshaft as well. The main things i want to get away from is the goofy TBI and vortec heads with their special intake bolt patterns. I know the vortec heads can make power but they are usually cracked and i don't want to buy a special intake.
Brian
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

ph,
I would make absolutely sure that the LT1 cam will work in a "regular" roller engine. I am pretty sure the front of the cam is different for the Optispark. Every cam manufacturer I looked at has a different set of part numbers for the LT1&4 It may be a simple matter of using the correct timing set but make sure and check.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Im pretty sure the difference is the length of the dowel pin. Seems like Ive gotten a late model step nose sbc cam that came with 2 different length pins.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you got your L31 vortec heads from a known good running L-31 motor the heads are probabily ok.
Its the take off heads from a blown overheated unknown motor (coolant leak) that will likely be cracked. They get sold off.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A 305 sbc would be good (and cheap) for that car.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

CGT wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm Im pretty sure the difference is the length of the dowel pin. Seems like Ive gotten a late model step nose sbc cam that came with 2 different length pins.
correct