Cutting oil pump shaft for clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racing68
Pro
Pro
Cutting oil pump shaft for clearance

Post by Racing68 »

I installed piston oilers in a big block chevy recently and while mocking up discovered that the oil pump shaft rubs the jet slightly. Can this be ground and polished for clearance or should the jet be trimmed back for clearance. It looks like .030-.040 needs to be removed from the shaft. The brass colored line on the shaft is where it rubs. It is a Melling select shaft that comes with the race series pumps if it makes any difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: Cutting oil pump shaft for clearance

Post by Lizardracing »

I've done it on a lathe without any issues.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

consider: Heavy weight oil and / or Hi-volume pump put more stress on that shaft
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

SBC 400 takes basically the same size shaft, same OD, just shorter....and those are cut undersize to clear tha larger main bearing bore and don't have failure problems.

Anyone worried about a slight undercut on a Chevy oil pump drive shaft needs to take a look at the spindly little hex shaft in Ford V-8s and all your worries will go away about the Chevy shaft being weaker if you cut it.

The 400 SBc shaft is undercut for nearly 2/3 of it's length, with just 3/4" or so at each end left original size.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---back in the day when I was doing a lot of SBC & BBC engines I got to where one of the things I did was to machine the stock oil pump shaft with a recess in the shank--mainly just to get rid of 40 grams
---some of the oil pump shafts--maybe the SBC 400's---were machined for clearance maybe to clear the larger main bearing journals

---never had any problems with any of machined shafts--but I also have a shotpeener so I shotpeened the machined area---and made nice smooth large corner radius's where the shaft was machined smaller.

---I just used my lathe to machine the recess
--------------------------------------
124/84* stock oil pump shaft / with a machined recess in the shank

* is gram weight
Racing68
Pro
Pro

Post by Racing68 »

I was more concerned if the shaft was hardened and would have cut through the hardening, it was not. Started at .482 finished at .415 and polished on lathe with 600 grit, a SBC shaft is cut to .400 so there should be no ill effects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.