Reducing cam bore ID in an aluminum cam pulley?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Reducing cam bore ID in an aluminum cam pulley?

Post by Nut124 »

I had to remove a DOCH Fiat ex cam pulley because it was not running "true". The pulley OD, and the timing belt, was wobbling by about 20-30 thou causing a pulsating belt whining noise.

The problem seems to be that the cam boss bore in the aluminum pulley is about 20 thou larger than the cam boss, permitting off-center installation.

Could I "dimple" the pulley to reduce clearance? The cam is in the engine, but I have another cam box I could use to true up the pulley before bolting on the engine.

This is the best available aftermarket stuff for my application.

Thoughts?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Reducing cam bore ID in an aluminum cam pulley?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.mcmaster.com/foil-shim-stoc ... m-stock-6/

Perhaps this type of material could be used on the end of the cam to incrementally increase the OD?
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Machinist solution...
Bore cam pulley and sleeve

Mechanic solution
Like Kevin said shim stock.
Sparksalot

Post by Sparksalot »

What englertracing said. They both will "work" but one will be repeatable, and the other is a kludge.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Option #3 (the aerospace solution)...nickel or hard chrome plate the ID undersize, then hone to the desired size.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The next Captain Obvious move to check both cams and sprockets ("pulley").

If the sprockets are consistent in ID then...

Perhaps closer examination of the camshaft is called for, particularly the journals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty thousandths of an inch is close to .5mm (FIAT is metric). A novice machinist could easily mistake graduations and this calls into question the other measurements on the cam.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, bore and sleeve would be the correct solution but would likely cost me $150 or so.

I think I will try the shim wrap on the cam. It is needed there to keep the pulley centered while I torque the cam bolt. Once tight I do not think it would move.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 am The next Captain Obvious move to check both cams and sprockets ("pulley").

If the sprockets are consistent in ID then...

Perhaps closer examination of the camshaft is called for, particularly the journals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty thousandths of an inch is close to .5mm (FIAT is metric). A novice machinist could easily mistake graduations and this calls into question the other measurements on the cam.
I have multiple cams and they all measure the same 29.95mm. The pulley is likely made in china for a US aftermarket company. Not sure why the ID is so big. The intake pulley from the same source runs absolutely true. Different batches? When you get stuff made in china, you never will know who/where it was actually made, unless you deal directly with the mfg.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

good suggestions
also, how about tig the pulley ID and mill it to fit cam snout ?
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

What does the manufacturer say the hole size is supposed to be?
If it doesn’t match what you have(and is correct for proper fitment on to the cam) , will they replace it?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

The US vendor is sending me a new pulley. It is likely be just like the one I already have.

I got some aluminum foil tape ready to put on the cam. This is a 2-piece adjustable pulley. I find that there is about 0.015 radial play between the inner and the outer piece as well. This would affect concentricity of the outer wheel any time the cam timing is adjusted with belt tension on. I will need to shim this gap as well.
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

Nut124 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:08 pmI got some aluminum foil tape ready to put on the cam.
There's these guys for allowing bearings to be mounted in oversized, loose-tolerance housings. Take a look at their "AN" series. I don't know how you get just one, maybe ask for a sample or find a distributor?

http://www.usatolerancerings.com/index. ... g-download

PS "tape" seems like a really bad idea. You have the squishiness and sliding layers of the adhesive. I might look at K&S Brass shim stock from Ace Hardware.
Dave
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Nefario wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:01 am
Nut124 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:08 pmI got some aluminum foil tape ready to put on the cam.
There's these guys for allowing bearings to be mounted in oversized, loose-tolerance housings. Take a look at their "AN" series. I don't know how you get just one, maybe ask for a sample or find a distributor?

http://www.usatolerancerings.com/index. ... g-download

PS "tape" seems like a really bad idea. You have the squishiness and sliding layers of the adhesive. I might look at K&S Brass shim stock from Ace Hardware.
Very interesting. Thanks.

I have the pulley back in the engine, all adjusted. Running true now. The shim is only needed until the cam bolt is tightened. After that, the bolt holds the pulley tight. I had to find a way to tighten the bolt w/o using leverage on the pulley to keep the cam from turning as that would have forced the pulley off center as far as allowed by the remaining gap. I locked the cam with two large wisegrips in the cambox and used an impact wrench to tighten the bolt w/o any force on the pulley.

Running good now and no more whining belt noise.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Can the shim migrate backwards into the lip seal ?

10:47 here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbyHf0dwak
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 am Can the shim migrate backwards into the lip seal ?

10:47 here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbyHf0dwak
A good question. I hope not. I do not think there is any movement there that would work the shim tape around.

In the linked video, I do not like it that he has paint on the pulley where it mounts at the end of the cam and under the bolt washer. I would worry about the paint thinning and resulting in the bolt coming loose.