Engine Dyno

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

liqu
Engine Dyno

Post by liqu »

Hi, I want to buy (I think) an engine dyno for my shop, I have no idea what I should get, this for my own use (race car) and would like to spend the least that I can get away with (I'm cheap) where to look and what to buy?
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Engine Dyno

Post by jed »

Whats is the budget??
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

liqu

Post by liqu »

I'm not smart enough to know what to buy, I just know I want one.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

liqu wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 pm I'm not smart enough to know what to buy, I just know I want one.
thats a dangerous combo! 8)
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Buying the dyno is bad enough.

THEN you get to build the dyno room around the dyno. Real estate and concrete are expensive.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

liqu wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:37 pm I'm not smart enough to know what to buy, I just know I want one.
Last year I purchased a used dyno and rebuilt it. A dyno is not something you just turn on a switch and operate safely. If you really want one, education is your first requirement. If you go the used route, technical support and replacement parts are the first hurdles. You have to understand that since it is a small market, mass production does not really provide a cost savings, every part is small run limited production. I have very little is cheap when buying parts for my dyno. And then you may find parts are just not available. I was lucky because I have some ability to machine simple things. If you decide to buy a used one my advice is to research what you can buy, and what breaks on them.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Buying and setting up a engine dyno and the word Cheep are not comparable! A used dyno purchase is probably the less expensive part. The room and support equipment to make the dyno repeatable is very important and is not Cheep! If the dyno can not repeat the data is of no use.
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
liqu

Post by liqu »

Hi, I already have a room, and a good size machine shop, I have never had or used a dyno, however I find the need now, there is no one around me that I can talk to, I don't know the cost (high or low) or good or bad, I'm thinking about a Superflow 901 (?) this is a rebuilt unit for $14,000.00 with a 1 year warranty, I don't know if that's 1/2 or double (price).
thedynoguy

Post by thedynoguy »

just be aware that Superflow no longer supports the 901's. Replacement electronics are getting really hard to find. I bought a new 901 in 1988 and it served me well for a long time. When I had a major electronic failure in 2017, I bought the "902" upgrade kit that eliminated all of the old electronics/sensors/etc. At the time, that upgrade ended up costing north of 25k...
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I suggest you open a line of communication with a dyno shop within driving distance, who is willing to discuss the true costs of set up and operation, load up your engine, pay for a couple of days of dyno service and go through the process from start to finish.

When our shop owner first decided he wanted to invest in a dyno he went to a couple of dyno/machine shops in other cities and talked with them at length, the dyno itself is a pretty small part of the equation.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My experience was very good with performance trends dyno software, and sensors. They have some reasonable priced software, data recording equipment, and the technical support to iron out the bugs was good as well. So for an older dyno that is one route to consider. And I also agree that the dyno itself is only 1/2 of the equation. When you start building brackets to hold engines, buying headers, welding in bungs, AN fittings for hooking different engine combinations up, bellhousings, flywheels, etc. etc. It really adds up quick.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

thedynoguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 pm just be aware that Superflow no longer supports the 901's. Replacement electronics are getting really hard to find. I bought a new 901 in 1988 and it served me well for a long time. When I had a major electronic failure in 2017, I bought the "902" upgrade kit that eliminated all of the old electronics/sensors/etc. At the time, that upgrade ended up costing north of 25k...
Holy cow! We paid less for our Land and Sea dyno brand new. Granted a superflow is well respected in the industry, we could not justify the price and we were able to get good service from Land and Sea. We were out the door for right around 22k with about another 3k for tank and equipment to get up and running.

To the OP, it really depends on your clients and the service you look to provide. We will NEVER got our money back out of ours, but we knew that when we bought it. (Yep, we are/were one of those idiot). There are plenty of new and used options out there. As many have said, your dyno cell will be as important as the dyno itself. Go in with eyes wide open.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

I bought a used Land&Sea 13" dualrotor. I had to buy the software upgrade to get in the good graces with L&S. (Software is tied to original purchaser) but all in all I am very happy with it. The company is very customer service friendly.
They have had one hiccup, the owner pasted away early last winter and they were forced to close for a short time. Now with the covid-19 scare their service dept is running way behind.
Would I buy one again or recommend one, in a heartbeat!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
brentry

Post by brentry »

25k for a upgrade. Wow.
I wonder what the mark up on that is.