General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Engine Dyno

Post by Schurkey »

liqu wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm Hi, I already have a room,
You have "a" room. You don't have a dyno room.

Expect to spend lots of money.
liqu

Post by liqu »

I know it's going to cost, I'm 66 years old and putting together a Supercomp car, so I need a dyno for myself, there's no since building engines that will not compete.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

liqu wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 pm I know it's going to cost, I'm 66 years old and putting together a Supercomp car, so I need a dyno for myself, there's no since building engines that will not compete.
door car or dragster? if dragster all you need is a 500hp engine to run 8.90
liqu

Post by liqu »

Dragster, 500 HP is a little harder to find on the engine I'm running (Y Block Ford)
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Didn’t Powertest buy Land & Sea?

So, if you need factory parts or service for a Stuska, SF, or L & S....... you’re dealing with Powertest.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

liqu wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:52 pm Dragster, 500 HP is a little harder to find on the engine I'm running (Y Block Ford)
If you are running some Mummert aluminum heads it is fairly easy. wouldn't even be very radical.
liqu

Post by liqu »

Iron heads ported by Mummert 245 cfm @ .550, 200 @ .550 exhaust, 13 1/2 to 1, 280@ 50 cam, Hilborn 4 port (short) on a home made manifold, with a powerglide, 234" Spitzer on alcohol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

liqu wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:01 pm Iron heads ported by Mummert 245 cfm @ .550, 200 @ .550 exhaust, 13 1/2 to 1, 280@ 50 cam, Hilborn 4 port (short) on a home made manifold, with a powerglide, 234" Spitzer on alcohol
seems like a lot of cam.. even something in the 260s@.050 should get you there. how hard are you trying to spin it?
liqu

Post by liqu »

8 through the lights, 4.30 gear, 32" tall tire (approx) this is a baby engine 325 CID, I built it that small because of the heads.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

liqu wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 pm 8 through the lights, 4.30 gear, 32" tall tire (approx) this is a baby engine 325 CID, I built it that small because of the heads.
exactly.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Just go to Westech! We'll come up and hang out.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
liqu

Post by liqu »

If I have my own dyno and it makes 300 hp I won't get laughed out of town.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

liqu wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm Hi, I already have a room, and a good size machine shop, I have never had or used a dyno, however I find the need now, there is no one around me that I can talk to, I don't know the cost (high or low) or good or bad, I'm thinking about a Superflow 901 (?) this is a rebuilt unit for $14,000.00 with a 1 year warranty, I don't know if that's 1/2 or double (price).
A new Superflow 902 is going to run you 50K and up depending on how many bells and whistles so a rebuilt 901 with 1 year warranty for 14K is reasonable.

I bought a new 902 about three years ago and sold three 901's. All had the latest Windyn available for 901's(1.16), nice Dell windows 7 computers and nice monitors, all operated perfectly.

I sold dyno 1 for $12,000. It had the Magnafuel fuel system and was the cleanest of the three.

dyno 2 sold for $10,500 also had the Magnafuel pump but needed repair to the sump tank

dyno 3 sold for $10,000 with blue Holley pump and the sump tank was starting to deteriorate.

I did not warranty any of the machines other than to be in working order when they left here. At the time, I kinda thought I sold them to cheap.

As others have stated, Superflow does not support the 901's and some of the parts are getting hard to find. If you buy the 14K machine, you are taking a calculated gamble. It may run for 20 more years or it may crap out in a year. I found the 901's to be very reliable, but anything can break. Obviously power it through a surge protector.
You just know going in that it's possible you may have to spend the 25K for a upgrade at some point.

A far as the room, if you build race engines, you can put the room together yourself. Pumps, fan, shutters, electrical will probably be around 5-6K, maybe less if you shop EBAY etc. I am using a 1600 gallon plastic tank from a farm supply store, it was fairly cheap.
liqu

Post by liqu »

Thanks That's the info I need, I'm also looking at a Stuska? I'm just a dope when it comes to buying one of these, I figure if I bother enough people and by the time they chase me off I will have learned enough.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

liqu wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 pm If I have my own dyno and it makes 300 hp I won't get laughed out of town.
As long as your money is green you will never get laughed out of town. They want good paying customers back. On a serious note, a day at a dyno shop with your engine could be infinitely valuable. A good operator has seen plenty and may know where to go digging for more power over just fuel and timing. Or may pick up on issues that many of us might overlook in the data.

Second, seeing how the whole process goes can also give you great insights on things t look for, or look out for in acquiring your own dyno. I know it did for us. Cell setup is a big one. Seeing a good cell can open your eyes for putting your own together.

Lastly, getting a setup that you can either see in action or get familiarized on before buying can give you piece of mind. We went to the manufacturers facility and got to make pulls on a dyno before buying one. We got to play with the software for setup graphs and essentially go from bolting the engine on to taking it off and all the details in between. That way we felt completely confident in what we were doing. (Little did we know LOL).

It is great that you are asking questions and even better that others are answering. If this is where your heart is don’t let us stop you.

Paul

(By the way, it is cool that you are doing something different in a class of cookie-cutters.)
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins