fresh 5.0 build having problems

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

fresh 5.0 build having problems

Post by dynoflo »

fellow finally got his enforcer headed 5.0 in car and running. called me and said running poorly. took fuel pressure gauge and timing light and everything checked out OK. it has no low speed zip at all. has a stumble and go pedal is not very responsive. it is factory fuel injected with 24 injectors and trick flow stage 1 cam and is 10 to 1 compression. turned idle up to 900 and idles like a 222 @ .050. he is bringing to shop tomorrow for further testing. I am not experienced with computer controlled 5.0 fords. I have built several and they all ran fine with factory tune..I didnt take vacumn gauge so that has to be checked also. Anybody have ideas to help me out?
dynoflo

Re: fresh 5.0 build having problems

Post by dynoflo »

problem solved. low fuel pressure.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Always nice when a poster "closes the loop" on a problem!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

took the 5.0 for a ride today. Had to put rear wheel bearings in it, boy were they bad. Set timing at 10 and fuel pressure to 30. That motor is pretty impressive. That thing will shit and git right along. He made a dyno appointment for tuning for oct 10th. $150 an hour for tuning. Tuner said it should take no more than 2 hours. This should be a good test for the enforcer heads. Will post when dyno is done.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

got the AFR enforcer headed 5.0 on the mustang dyno this morning. The first pull showed the MAF sensor needed reprogramed for the chip. Got that done and then AFR had dip at peak torque. Took 3 pulls to get that straight. Dyno operator put 1 degree more timing in and called it done, Fisrt pull showed 268 hp and 322 torque. Last pull showed 288 hp and 331 torque. He ran it up against rev limiter every time. Total cost was $720. That included the chip and 2 hours at $ 150 per hour. According to operator it was a good 5.0 compared to others. He said a flywheel dyno would show around 15% more hp and tq. A fellow who worked there walked up and looked at computer screen and said you got a good one there. The last 5.0 i had on my dyno made 300 hp 315 tq with all Edelbrock heads intake and 204 214 mild cam with 600 carb. The car is just street only. It will run hard thru the gears and will lug down without bucking. Seems to run better than the numbers show.