Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rick!
Expert
Expert

Re: Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

Post by Rick! »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm Bosch external pumps were being used in German luxury cars. As long as you get a genuine one and not a China-fake pump, they are really quiet and reliable.

I tried aftermarket pumps in my cars, they are all unreliable and loud garbage compared to Bosch pumps. Now my normally aspirated 700hp car has a single Bosch 044 and my turbo car has two Bosch 044s in parallel.
Having worked on many European fuel injected cars, I can substantiate ptuomov's claim. If a Bosch pump was noisy, it got replaced. You can even use the stock check valve if needed to keep the fuel from boiling after shutdown on hot days. A simple rubber lined P clamp is all that is necessary to mount the pump. I believe older BMWs used a clamp like that.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Pulling the fuel up is a-ok as long as it goes down the same or greater distance before it gets to the pump. It cancels out. It's only a potential issue when first priming the pump when the system is dry.
DON'T PANIC
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Rick! wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:23 am
ptuomov wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm Bosch external pumps were being used in German luxury cars. As long as you get a genuine one and not a China-fake pump, they are really quiet and reliable.

I tried aftermarket pumps in my cars, they are all unreliable and loud garbage compared to Bosch pumps. Now my normally aspirated 700hp car has a single Bosch 044 and my turbo car has two Bosch 044s in parallel.
Having worked on many European fuel injected cars, I can substantiate ptuomov's claim. If a Bosch pump was noisy, it got replaced. You can even use the stock check valve if needed to keep the fuel from boiling after shutdown on hot days. A simple rubber lined P clamp is all that is necessary to mount the pump. I believe older BMWs used a clamp like that.
Thanks, my current pump is the same dimensions as a Bosch, just different fittings.
turbo camino wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:16 am Pulling the fuel up is a-ok as long as it goes down the same or greater distance before it gets to the pump. It cancels out. It's only a potential issue when first priming the pump when the system is dry.
The pump is probably a foot below the pickup, maybe 10 inches, but significantly lower.
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
vwchuck
Expert
Expert

Post by vwchuck »

Guys Bosch 044's get noisy as hell also when you get the fuel hot. The key to using a high flow after market pump on the street is to pulse width modulate it at low demand so it flows less fuel keeping the fuel in the tank cooler.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

vwchuck wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am Guys Bosch 044's get noisy as hell also when you get the fuel hot. The key to using a high flow after market pump on the street is to pulse width modulate it at low demand so it flows less fuel keeping the fuel in the tank cooler.
Except that if you use an aftermarket pulse-width modulation system, it won’t work reliably. My experience anyway.

Bosch 044 may get louder if the fuel heats up and if the pump inlet is restrictive, but it’s still quiet compared to most aftermarket pumps. And big enough return line and big enough pump pickup keep the fuel cool.

Two Bosch 045s with the second pump turning on with manifold pressure or lack of manifold vacuum, rpm, or anything sensible would be even quieter and easily feed 700hp. One 045 and one 044 would go even higher very quietly.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I used the aeromotive pump controller on my EFI setup, it worked great. It was PWM modulated and greatly quietened the pump down.
Tom
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Weldon make a PWM box as well and Barry Grant had one too.....
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

FuelieNova wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm I used the aeromotive pump controller on my EFI setup, it worked great. It was PWM modulated and greatly quietened the pump down.
Tom
We got some experience with a forced induction car with a 100x dynamic range. We couldn’t get either the Aeromotive pump or the Aeromotive pump controller to produce a consistent fuel pressure differential (fuel pressure minus boost pressure) in a return system with regulator referenced to manifold pressure as tank fill level, fuel temperature, and boost changed. This is just my experience, but adding a single major Aeromotive component anywhere in the system would cause the system to no longer be reliable. The system now runs perfectly with only Bosch stock and more reports components.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
vwchuck
Expert
Expert

Post by vwchuck »

"Except that if you use an aftermarket pulse-width modulation system, it won’t work reliably"
How can't it work reliably unless you are picking the wrong SSR or something?
This literally cost a whole 35 bucks to do if your ECU can accommodate and is 100% reliable..
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

vwchuck wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:22 pm "Except that if you use an aftermarket pulse-width modulation system, it won’t work reliably"
How can't it work reliably unless you are picking the wrong SSR or something?
This literally cost a whole 35 bucks to do if your ECU can accommodate and is 100% reliable..
Maybe I’m just incompetent.

Earlier, someone said that Bosch 044 pumps are loud when fuel boils. I have done three hours of idle control algorithm setup this morning (further evidence of my lack of competence) and now I can hear the 044 fuel pump.
Put Search Keywords Here
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I managed to build one that worked great, carbureted, using Arduino, Aeromotive A1000 pump, and a homemade 3-mosfets-in-parallel driver board. Pump speed was default at 30%, variable up to 100% between 30 and 60% throttle, and/or 100% at anything over 100KPA MAP. Also used an oil pressure switch as a safety. Did a neat EFI-like prime at key on. If I had known ahead of time this wasn't possible it probably wouldn't have worked.
DON'T PANIC
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

turbo camino wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:21 pm I managed to build one that worked great, carbureted, using Arduino, Aeromotive A1000 pump, and a homemade 3-mosfets-in-parallel driver board. Pump speed was default at 30%, variable up to 100% between 30 and 60% throttle, and/or 100% at anything over 100KPA MAP. Also used an oil pressure switch as a safety. Did a neat EFI-like prime at key on. If I had known ahead of time this wasn't possible it probably wouldn't have worked.
You probably spent only a small fraction of your total budget on advertising!

The Aeromotive problems I’m aware are all with forced induction EFI cars.
Put Search Keywords Here
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

The 044 is a very nice pice, indeed.
vwchuck wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am Guys Bosch 044's get noisy as hell also when you get the fuel hot. The key to using a high flow after market pump on the street is to pulse width modulate it at low demand so it flows less fuel keeping the fuel in the tank cooler.
X2

After 3 hours on rhe road going up a montain 2800 ft and a mobile home in front of me. Water was 110 degrees C, the oil followed and rised above that. Pump crying like a whining bitch....
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

ptuomov wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 am
Except that if you use an aftermarket pulse-width modulation system, it won’t work reliably. My experience anyway.

Bosch 044 may get louder if the fuel heats up and if the pump inlet is restrictive, but it’s still quiet compared to most aftermarket pumps. And big enough return line and big enough pump pickup keep the fuel cool.

Two Bosch 045s with the second pump turning on with manifold pressure or lack of manifold vacuum, rpm, or anything sensible would be even quieter and easily feed 700hp. One 045 and one 044 would go even higher very quietly.
Strange, it works flawlessly in my application.

Some advice:
- if you run closed loop algorithm (PID) to control the pump, do away with the fuel pressure regulator and make it a dead end type system. The PID algorithm will fight with the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure will never be correct.
- if you retain your original system with fuel pressure regulator and return to the sump or tank, use open loop as control algorithm.