Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

My427stang
Expert
Expert

Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

Post by My427stang »

I generally push for an in tank pump, but in this case, the truck has the tank behind the seat, relocating it is not an option, and in tank would likely be as noisy and very difficult to fab in a deep and narrow space.

I bought a Deastchworks 350iL inline pump and it works well for the port injected 461 but it is so noisy, it's incredible. Far worse than an old Holley Blue, the noise is sort of like that, but with a nest of angry hornets and a 3 year old kid temper tantrum at the same time.

The company said "you picked our noisiest pump" Go figure, BTW the code is, if the description isn't "quiet" assume LOUD..regardless, now I am trying to find someone with some experience in an external EFI pump to support 48 psi and 500 HP, -6AN in and out, preferably with some sort of threaded input and output (not hose ends) to adapt to full hard line. Truck is street driven.

Going to give Holley a call today, but would love to hear some real world experience

Thanks
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert
Re: Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

Post by BLSTIC »

Have you tried rubber mounting it on a proper isolating mount (ie one where you can move the pump slightly with little force) and using a fuel pressure damper close to the pump? Fuel pressure dampers are easily available at a wrecker yard.

You'll still hear it, but with any luck you won't hear the whole car buzz along with it...
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

How much flow you need? For the power and pressure numbers, I would go with a single genuine Bosch 044 electric pump.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Normally with an in-tank pump, the liquid acts as a pump lubricant, a cooling medium for the electric motor and also acts as a sound deadener. At least while the entire pump is submerged. If you're looking for Lincoln-level quietness and it really annoys you, move the tank- or replace it- regardless of how much trouble it may be.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Normally with an in-tank pump, the liquid acts as a pump lubricant, a cooling medium for the electric motor and also acts as a sound deadener. At least while the entire pump is submerged. If you're looking for Lincoln-level quietness and it really annoys you, move the tank- or replace it- regardless of how much trouble it may be.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

BLSTIC wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 am Have you tried rubber mounting it on a proper isolating mount (ie one where you can move the pump slightly with little force) and using a fuel pressure damper close to the pump? Fuel pressure dampers are easily available at a wrecker yard.

You'll still hear it, but with any luck you won't hear the whole car buzz along with it...
A trick with the old Holley Blue, was to mount it on an old 'strap style' exhaust hanger. Made a ton of difference in those loud pumps. If something similar can be fabricated for use with a modern pump to keep it from transferring vibration, it would be worth the effort.

In tank pumps are best, but some external pumps aren't that bad. Using a return style regulator is key in making them live, as the circulating fuel will keep them cool. I have a Mallory 140 used with a carb that has been in use since the 1990's. It's the OLD style that had the wires going into the side with replaceable brushes. Still in use on the mustang. HUNDREDS of hours of use, and was often used as a sole daily driver on 100 mile trips. It has always been used with a return style regulator. Makes the pump a lot cooler and quieter.

An EFI pump works at a much higher pressure, so they will have more load on them. Many who use an external EFI pump carry a spare in their vehicle. Do what you can to make it live, but install it in a place that is easy to get to, and carrying a spare isn't a bad idea.

Good Luck!
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

The cheapo $90 Summit EFI pumps are pretty decent.

Or you can buy the same thing from Rock Auto for an older 7.3 F350 for about $35-40.

They should flow enough fuel for 400hp. You can run two in parallel. Mount them in rubber to the frame, you'll never notice them unless the engine isn't running.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

^ which year F350 are we talking about for that pump?
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Thanks guys, I am leaning toward a new Weldon A600-A, not cheap but supposedly quiet, waiting to hear back from them

In tank is absolutely not an option as much as I normally praise it and use dual in-tank pumps in my own Mustang. The truck tank is a stock style, it's difficult to access inside to make a pump bracket (1.75 inch holes to work through) I don't have room under the vehicle and I don't want to have to deal with the filler neck, both delete and add, in relatively fresh paint.

Here is the shape I am dealing with, this pic is before hard lines were finished, was a mock up with NiCopp. That "ledge" on top is about 2.75 inches, not a lot of room and the pump would still be in the cab

I do a lot of EFI conversions, this pump is unique, people rolling up their windows when I pull up, wife stressed out because of the noise yesterday, it's crazy. I should have researched the pump better but such is life, I am not looking for Cadillac, I am looking for something not embarrassing, like I said, an old Holley Blue screamer would be welcome compared to this beast

I may have to go with something stock looking, but the hard line on the pump is sort of done to show off everything a little and I hate to have to cut in with a rubber line. If I go stock style, it would need to have some sort of fitting. I appreciate the help
Plattsmouth, NE
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Bosch external pumps were being used in German luxury cars. As long as you get a genuine one and not a China-fake pump, they are really quiet and reliable.

I tried aftermarket pumps in my cars, they are all unreliable and loud garbage compared to Bosch pumps. Now my normally aspirated 700hp car has a single Bosch 044 and my turbo car has two Bosch 044s in parallel.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm Bosch external pumps were being used in German luxury cars. As long as you get a genuine one and not a China-fake pump, they are really quiet and reliable.

I tried aftermarket pumps in my cars, they are all unreliable and loud garbage compared to Bosch pumps. Now my normally aspirated 700hp car has a single Bosch 044 and my turbo car has two Bosch 044s in parallel.
I was just reading the description for that Bosh pump, are you using it with an in-tank like they said to or by itself? Just wondering if it could be used as a band-aid for a car that's in-tank pump is not enough or if I'd have to remove/bypass the in-tank pump?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

BOOT wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm Bosch external pumps were being used in German luxury cars. As long as you get a genuine one and not a China-fake pump, they are really quiet and reliable.

I was just reading the description for that Bosh pump, are you using it with an in-tank like they said to or by itself? Just wondering if it could be used as a band-aid for a car that's in-tank pump is not enough or if I'd have to remove/bypass the in-tank pump?
Those Bosch external pumps are used both as standalone external pumps or in conjunction with an in-tank pump. Whether it works with your pump I guess would depend on the flow area of your in-tank pump — if you needed more flow. If the problem is just adding pressure, it’ll work for sure.
Put Search Keywords Here
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 pmThose Bosch external pumps are used both as standalone external pumps or in conjunction with an in-tank pump. Whether it works with your pump I guess would depend on the flow area of your in-tank pump — if you needed more flow. If the problem is just adding pressure, it’ll work for sure.

Yah that's what I was thinking bypass/remove tank pump, I'd prob just upgrade the in-tank pump on the efi car I was considering then.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Is there some kind of box available that can vary the voltage fed to the pump depending on flow demand? Somehow monitor the pressure to keep it constant but dial back the volts / speed / noise at part load.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

ptuomov....The Bosch 044 looks very promising for mine given the ability to easily adapt to -6AN, thanks for the information

How bad are the fakes distributed? Is this something I can just order from a reputable company and if it comes with the seal on it, it's real? Seems like lots of comments on the internet about fakes.
Plattsmouth, NE