Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ptuomov
Guru
Guru
Re: Quiet external EFI fuel pump experience

Post by ptuomov »

My427stang wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 am ptuomov....The Bosch 044 looks very promising for mine given the ability to easily adapt to -6AN, thanks for the information. How bad are the fakes distributed? Is this something I can just order from a reputable company and if it comes with the seal on it, it's real? Seems like lots of comments on the internet about fakes.
You should be able to get one from a Bosch dealer, but the China fakes are everywhere so who knows. Ebay seems to be nothing but the China fakes.

You could also do the flow math in detail and pull a lower-capacity used Bosch fuel pump from say late model Porsche 928 or some Mercedes. Those don't flow quite as much but some of them have headroom to 500 crank hp and they are really quiet. The flow curves are around on the internet.

Importantly, I’d also consider scavenging the pump and filter brackets from some German luxury car. They are compact and well isolated.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Circlotron wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 am Is there some kind of box available that can vary the voltage fed to the pump depending on flow demand? Somehow monitor the pressure to keep it constant but dial back the volts / speed / noise at part load.
Can't rem what it's called but there is something like that, also read it sometimes can be hard on the pump but then it claims that it can save the pump so idk
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

BOOT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am
Circlotron wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 am Is there some kind of box available that can vary the voltage fed to the pump depending on flow demand? Somehow monitor the pressure to keep it constant but dial back the volts / speed / noise at part load.
Can't rem what it's called but there is something like that, also read it sometimes can be hard on the pump but then it claims that it can save the pump so idk
We tried a bunch of aftermarket solutions and none of the worked. Fuelab, aeromotive, etc. Came away with the conclusion that all that aftermarket fuel system electronic stuff is garbage compared to factory solutions plus simple switches. Turning the second pump on currently with some logic, but a simple Hobbs pressure switch would be even more reliable.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

n2omike wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm A trick with the old Holley Blue, was to mount it on an old 'strap style' exhaust hanger. Made a ton of difference in those loud pumps.
Hmm. I may try that myself.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

skinny z wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 pm
n2omike wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm A trick with the old Holley Blue, was to mount it on an old 'strap style' exhaust hanger. Made a ton of difference in those loud pumps.
Hmm. I may try that myself.
Yah I read bout that tip awhile back and been meaning to try it on my next project with a red pump. I was just out by my scrap pile last week and saw I got two on an old exhaust.

edit: another tip was to cut sidewall from old slicks
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Talked to Weldon yesterday, they make a quiet A600-A pump, but he thought before anything that I should change my feed to -8AN. I run a 1/2 pickup but 3/8 hardline to the pump, he said even his quiet pump will be noisy with a small feed. Was happy with -6 on the pressure side and return.

Thoughts?

Ptuomov - would the 044 need the big feed in your experience? Not impossible to change, but of course it would be easier not to :)
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

My solution was to use a Ford Fuel pump driver module to power the pump. You could have it spin at a speed depending on the load on the engine. Worked like a chime but I could control it through my EFI ecu.
The added advantage was that there was less fuel heating as well.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

ptuomov - sent you a PM on line size for the 044.

For the crowd, WELDON said that my -6AN feed was too small and it was causing cavitation, I had asked about their A600-A pump and he said it is quiet, but would be loud with a -6AN feed and needed -8AN in

He also said that he'd like to sell me a pump but that I may get there with a -8AN on my current pump. Deastchwerks said that their pump was going to be very noisy regardless of setup

I think that given my setup is complete, and both my current pump and even more so the A600-A is overkill, I will try a Bosch 044 but want to make sure it is generally happy with a -6AN input and output

ptuomov - you have been very helpful, feel free to post here, I likely should have just asked here
Plattsmouth, NE
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

My427stang wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am ptuomov - sent you a PM on line size for the 044.

For the crowd, WELDON said that my -6AN feed was too small and it was causing cavitation, I had asked about their A600-A pump and he said it is quiet, but would be loud with a -6AN feed and needed -8AN in

He also said that he'd like to sell me a pump but that I may get there with a -8AN on my current pump. Deastchwerks said that their pump was going to be very noisy regardless of setup

I think that given my setup is complete, and both my current pump and even more so the A600-A is overkill, I will try a Bosch 044 but want to make sure it is generally happy with a -6AN input and output

ptuomov - you have been very helpful, feel free to post here, I likely should have just asked here
Suction side is critical, you want non-restrictive fittings and large tubes there. Bad aftermarket fittings more than anything else cause cavitation. Pressure side -6AN should be no problem.
Put Search Keywords Here
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

There is no pump in existence for that power level that will be happy with a 6AN inlet.
DON'T PANIC
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

OK, I was hoping to leave my -6AN line, but may as well set up for -8 and try the current pump. At least I will be set up to swap if it doesn't quiet down

This is what I am dealing with now, sorry for the goofy commentary, but look close at :15-:20 and 2:30, although it's whining in the background the whole time.

I even zip tied a bike inner tube around it and zip tied it to the frame to eliminate any bracket and contact at all, no change. You guys think it's cavitation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVY8Ne ... e=youtu.be
Plattsmouth, NE
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I think that's just a loud pump. You could give it a 1" ID supply and suspend it in an antigravity superconductor and it would sill be loud. Maybe if you mounted it inside a vacuum chamber?
DON'T PANIC
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

turbo camino wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 pm I think that's just a loud pump. You could give it a 1" ID supply and suspend it in an antigravity superconductor and it would sill be loud. Maybe if you mounted it inside a vacuum chamber?
I think I am going to give a Bosch a try first, as plumbed. Then see where we are.

I have been driving it, cheapo Edelbrock self-learning EFI seems to work pretty well. I didn't expect it to be so friendly, so once I get the sreaming baby gone from the frame rail, should be a fun truck
Plattsmouth, NE
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

6AN is too small for any pump of any style that can supply that kind of fuel volume. Changing the plumbing might not be fun but swapping fuel pumps on the side of the road is even less fun.
DON'T PANIC
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I agree that a big pump likely needs more feed, but I ended up over-buying for a pump for this setup. 490 HP @ 5000 RPM, 35 lb injectors, it doesn't need this monster pump. I am likely pushing more back to the tank than I am to the engine at any given point

That being said, winter is coming, I may do a fuel cell so I can pull lower off the tank and a larger pickup and return, rather than up over the top and all the way across the cab. At best now, all I can get a true 1/2 hard line inch, -8 fittings, with the setup I have and the next engine in this truck will likely be 489 inches after the big motor is done in the Mustang with much more power and a 45 lb injector.
Plattsmouth, NE