Connecting rod weight change...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Connecting rod weight change...

Post by Krooser »

I just bought a nice, low mileage set of used Crower billet connecting rods for my SBM project engine. They came out after 6 years of weekend cruising and a few runs down the track.

I had resized, rebushed and balanced a set of OEM 340 rods to use in this engine but there was always a question of durability in the back of my mind. For a non race engine this would never been a factor but this deal this will run 30-40 laps each night on a big half mile and I always had a question of durability in my old noggin. So when I saw these advertised for sale I made the move.

Now my question... the Crower rods are 15 grams heavier than the Mopar rods... 745 vs. 730. How much will this affect my balance? The new RaceTec pistons are spot on and within a couple grams of the old Ross slugs. The billet crank I have was repaired after some rod damage in the #1-2 journal... I was thinking the crank may not have to be re-spun... your opinions?

Seems odd that I'm using these heavy rods after i was trying to get my rotating weight down as much as possible. But when you have a 63# crank I guess it's a moot point!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Connecting rod weight change...

Post by PackardV8 »

One option is just smile and tell anyone who asks, "I had it overbalanced; better for extended high RPM, ya' know."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Have the big end and small end weighed and get back to us.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Bill K rightly points out it will now be underbalanced, so say, "I had it underbalanced; better for durability, ya' know."
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Dave Koehler wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:18 pm Have the big end and small end weighed and get back to us.
I had my GF do that....
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Run it!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

No reason to balance anything I assume.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Ok.... so now I have another question.

I put my calipers to these Crower rods last night... seems the stock .984 rod bushings have shrunk down to .927! I bought these with the understanding they were for the stock .984 Mopar pins.

Now this would not be an issue but I have a shiny new set of slugs with .984 holes!

Can those .927 bushings be honed to .984? Or can I find .984 bushings to fit in the stock machined pin bore? The bore is larger than one inch.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Honing to size would take a while, and at best duplicate whatever geometry rod "straightness" and center-to-center length exist now.

It would be better to have the bushings bored to the desired size in a rig that controls C-C length and makes the pin bore very parallel to the BE bore.

Tobin-Arp made a machine to do just that. It was pretty slick.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Thanks Dan... this was a surprise to me. I'm not a pro builder but have put enough engines together over the last 61 years that I like to check things out as much as I can and have an expert do the same if there are any questions.

I have three shops that I deal with and i would imagine at least one would be able to handle that job.

The guy I bought these from said they were stock Mopar sized... could be his engine builder used the Chevy size pin and it was never dsicussed with him.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Krooser wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:06 amCan those .927 bushings be honed to .984? Or can I find .984 bushings to fit in the stock machined pin bore? The bore is larger than one inch.
Yes, to both.
It would be better to have the bushings bored to the desired size in a rig that controls C-C length and makes the pin bore very parallel to the BE bore.

Tobin-Arp made a machine to do just that. It was pretty slick.
For true, Dan. We've got one and it is incredibly well-designed and well-made. Since it only gets used at most once every six months, my machinist hates me for making him think that hard remembering how to set it up.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Nothing costs more than a super duper deal on parts.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:53 pm Nothing costs more than a super duper deal on parts.
Not the first time for me. But I can dispute this because I paid via PayPal and used " goods and services" rather than F&F...

These are older rods with six seasons of street use with some passes down the track.

When a guy is putting a whole car together on $12K per year plus a PT job it's tough to spend the $$$ for new. I didn't NEED these I guess... I trust the stock rods for my application but these were just an insurance policy.

We will see...
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

These are the rods in question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Plenty of room in the bushing to go to .985 (.001 clearance) Bore it like Dan suggested , honing that much is tough to do "right". Those are some nice rods.