Holley Throttle Blade Screws

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro
Holley Throttle Blade Screws

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Simple questions, when reassembling a Holley throttle shaft with 8-32 screws is there any reason to not use a hardware store 8-32 screw to replace the originals? Also would it matter if a person used a brass, stainless or plain steel screw? I would definitely use a thread locking compound and one could also use screws long enough to stake them as the originals. any thoughts or insights? Thanks.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Holley Throttle Blade Screws

Post by rustbucket79 »

The originals have a drilled recess on the threaded end to allow you to stake them, thus mechanically eliminating them from backing out. I wouldn’t recommend relying on thread locker, a lost screw will make a mess of the engine.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

And besides the engine eating a screw, a loose throttle blade can hang the carb wide open. A 10-pack of cheese-grade hardware store screws will probably cost the same as a box of 100 in stainless from McMaster-Carr.
DON'T PANIC
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

What I have done that worked fine: grind the peened end off before you back them out, clean the throttle shaft and the screws well. Reinstall and position the blades properly. With a small torch heat the screws and apply some solder to the thread end so it flows in and locks the screw in place. Never had one fall out and no need for peening
Pro question poster.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I've also plug welded plates in place instead of screws. but you need to get your alignment right first with screws then remove one at a time and weld and control the warpage that occurs when the weld cools
Pro question poster.
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

I talked with a local carb shop, he said they reuse the originals with thread lock. I am a firm believer in thread lock BUT one small screw can sure ruin your day. I think I will source the original style screws and be done with it.
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

I like the brass pan head screws 8-32 1/4 from McMaster carr. A little red loctite and tighten them until you feel the screw just start to stretch. Go slow, you’ll feel it. I’ve got hundreds of carbs out there not on returned with a lost screw.
Dave Cunningham/ Woodruff Carburetor Specialties
Carburetorrestorationyoungstownoh.com
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

You can get stainless torx button head screws from BLP or McMaster-Carr in various lengths to go right to the edge on the other side. Red Loctite works fine, everything I build gets them unless it's a restore build.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.