General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
BBC windage/oil control pan mods

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Am I on the right track here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pro question poster.
tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: BBC windage/oil control pan mods

Post by tenxal »

Nicely done, sir. =D>

I'd add a brace from the pickup tube box to one of the pump cover bolts...likely you've thought of that already. Also, how is the oil going to be bypassed?
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

YES
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I know it is easy to drill out rivets BUT it would be nicer to use threaded inserts. Future changes/ideas etc.
Threaded inserts.jpg

Many different ways to reinforce the edge to increase rigidity. This is a possible area of flexure and failure.
Reinforcement.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

tenxal wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 am Nicely done, sir. =D>

I'd add a brace from the pickup tube box to one of the pump cover bolts...likely you've thought of that already. Also, how is the oil going to be bypassed?
There's a tab welded to the pickup box that goes to one of the pump cover bolts-do you think that will be enough to retain the pickup or add another? It's a basic Mellings M77HV pump so it's internal bypass-got suggestions? The hamburger pickup designed for use with this pan sure didn't fit very well-turned out angled severely and I had to heat it up and modify the tab to get it at 3/8" clearance to the bottom of the pan and almost parallel-there's still a little angle. I've cleaned all the weld slag out of the pan and pickup with acid-it took the gold cadmium? plating off the pickup too LOL. Thanks for the guidance this forum has given.
Pro question poster.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Kevin Johnson wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:27 am I know it is easy to drill out rivets BUT it would be nicer to use threaded inserts. Future changes/ideas etc.

At first I was planning on nutserts but then I remembered how lucky I am and the potential for them to come loose LOL

Many different ways to reinforce the edge to increase rigidity. This is a possible area of flexure and failure.

Got any suggestions? It's 18 Gauge, I could tack weld some rod to it to stiffen it up or some 1/8" X 1/2" strap?
Pro question poster.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

[quote=

Reinforcement.jpg
[/quote]

Thanks for the input Kevin I see you are talking about the screen-I'll figure something out for that
Pro question poster.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:37 am ...

Got any suggestions? It's 18 Gauge, I could tack weld some rod to it to stiffen it up or some 1/8" X 1/2" strap?
Yes, if you use two pieces of rod and capture the edge in between with tack welds. You can pre-bend the rod to fit the curve/bias.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I know you're unlikely to overlook removing the broken-off mandrels after the rivets are popped but I'm mentioning it JIC. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.