Piston oil ring support rails

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Piston oil ring support rails

Post by BILL-C »

What's your opinions on using oil support rails that don't have the anti-rotation tangs? In the bad old days we had a few instances where the support rails rotated in service and when the end gaps lined up in the area over the wrist pin the lower oil rail wiggled it's way through gap and oil ring fell apart. The piston manufactures corrected this problem by making oil ring groove support rails with a tang that fit into the void over the wrist pin that prevented the rail from rotating. Never had a problem again. Evidently at least one of the popular piston manufacturers doesn't bother with the tangs on the support rails anymore. Having been through the nightmare before, i have to say that i'm a bit anxious about putting this engine together without the tangs.
Carlquist Competition Engines
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Re: Piston oil ring support rails

Post by piston guy »

Hi Bill.
I know CP, JE, Ross , and Racetec still use the dimpled supports. The support would have to really 'bite" into the back of the oil ring groove to stop rotation of the support. I too have seen them "wind out"of the groove without the dimple.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Yes, the oil ring support rail should have the locating tang in order to keep the support rail gap away from the void over the wrist pin. Most of the support rails in the industry are supplied by Perfect Circle/MAHLE and Hastings and I believe that both of them are still utilizing the locating tang. Check with your ring supplier.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Bill ,
Hastings "groove lock spacers" do not have the "dimple" . Those come from Smalley Mfg. who also does Spirolocks and wirelocks to the industry.