Cleaning out the garage...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Cleaning out the garage...

Post by travis »

I’ve had some free time on my hands lately, so I finally tackled a job I’ve been putting off for way too long...deep cleaning and reorganizing my garage. It is amazing how much crap you can collect in 30+ years that you “might” need at some point!

I do have some questions about some of this stuff, as a LOT of it is 20+ years old...

Head gaskets...I’ve got at least 10 sets of Fel-pro stock replacement types and 1094’s (the rubber coated .015” thick ones), all still sealed in their original packaging and always stored flat. They “look” fine...would you use them or pitch ‘em?

I’ve got 44 (?) new Speed-pro HT817 lifters left that I forgot I had (not sure how I ended up with 44). Still in the original cardboard package with a plastic shrink wrap on them. I opened a few and they look ok. Probably just need disassembled and thoroughly cleaned?

I’ve got another 8-10 complete sets of new sbc and sbf aftermarket valve springs, locks, retainers, etc. A bunch of the springs have rusted over the years from humidity I assume. Does rust make a valve spring pretty much junk? Some are just light surface rust...others have “chunky” rust. Obviously they would have to be cleaned up, but should they still be useable?

I bet in the last 3 days I’ve thrown out close to a thousand pounds of bolts, junk tools, engine accessories, brackets, etc. And now that I’m getting everything put together and organized, I’ve got enough razor blades, drill bits, bolt extractors, etc to last 3 lifetimes :roll: :D
bigmike

Re: Cleaning out the garage...

Post by bigmike »

Does rust make a valve spring pretty much junk? Some are just light surface rust...others have “chunky” rust. Obviously they would have to be cleaned up, but should they still be useable?
In my experience rust will kill a valve spring even on a near stock engine.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

It pained me deeply to throw functioning tools out, but I swear they was multiplying when nobody was looking :lol: In all fairness, it was a bunch of cheap crap that I threw out. Several years ago I inherited 2 storage sheds worth of woodworking and automotive tools when my wife’s grandfather passed away. He had some good stuff (old snap-on and craftsman stuff) that I kept, but there was a monumental amount of absolute junk. Add that to all of my own stuff I’ve collected over the years, and it was just ridiculous.

I didn’t think to take some before and after pics, but I’m about 80% done. I ended up building a huge set of 6’x18’ shelves, so now I can organize and contain all my lumber and construction tools. Both of my major hobbies take up a lot of room.

I’ve had to make a bunch of tough choices on things to get rid of, but it’s tiring having to spend hours looking for stuff that I know I’ve got, but can’t find. That’s why I’ve got multiples of a lot of things :roll: :lol:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

travis wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:18 amHead gaskets...I’ve got at least 10 sets of Fel-pro stock replacement types and 1094’s (the rubber coated .015” thick ones), all still sealed in their original packaging and always stored flat. They “look” fine...would you use them or pitch ‘em?

I don't see why those shim headgaskets would be bad if they aren't rusted or bent, they use to sell em uncoated. Even if you doubted the coating couldn't they just be copper sprayed?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Travis,

Bring/send me your 1094 head gaskets before you pitch them because I will use them.

PM me and I will send you my address.

And I will pay S&H...

pdq67
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

A few years ago I cleaned out the mezzanine floor in my shop, shifted stuff around on the shop floor to get scrap metal skips directly below the edge of the mezzanine & just pitched stuff in.
The scrap guys told me I threw out around 8 tonnes of engine parts.
There is still too much crap up there!

But at least you can move around.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

There must be a Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity or Lighthouse for the Blind or charity second hand/thrift shop that could use/sell any tools or supplies.
I hate good stuff getting trashed/scrapped.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I guess I'm going to be in the same but a little bit different situation shortly . 5 years ago I packed up my home shop with 35+ years of tools and car parts and moved to SW Louisiana . No garage or shop there so just about everything was just in a temporary shelter for storage . This past summer loaded it all up and moved to Kentucky . Now I have a 30x40 foot insulted shop plus a 24x30 foot storage building . So I'll be unpacking and going thru everything to see what survived 5years of humid storage in Louisiana . It will be nice to start fresh with basically empty buildings to arrange thing as I deem fit . I have also accumulated a bunch of new tools and race car parts while the other stuff was packed away. Can't wait to get my 100 pound anvil back in use . You can relieve a lot of tension on that . Dan
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I threw out a bunch of stuff that just made me sick. Brand new B&M mega shifter (I always thought those was the coolest street car shifters) that I bought years ago but couldn't get it to work with the stock console in one of my old Nova's. It corroded into complete junk just from humidity. Boxes upon boxes of carbs and parts, brackets, bolts...you name it...corroded into junk.

I haven't even started on the cylinder head collection yet lol

FWIW...I tried for months to give a lot of these tools away. Nobody wanted them.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

You did your due diligence if no one suitable wants free stuff. Set them at the curb. They will magically disappear.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Maan, i have brand new brakes on my project that need resurfacing due to humidity already.... all the bolt heads... ugh. i mean, thats small potatoes but im just afraid to look harder, i done the same thing, destroyed everything i wasnt going to use..
For me, especially with old car parts, you cant give any of it away, everything i tore off my car was all in perfect working order, original condition, i wasnt even going to waste my time advertising it for free as pretty much everything you can get brand new repop nowadays, so joe bloggs isnt gonna give anything for it, and knowing the craigslist ingreats, theyd want ME to pay THEM to come get it free

One thing is for damn sure, i got a detached garage because of reasons, but this damn virginia humidity, when trying to work and you pick up one tool and are drenched with sweat dripping all over what youre working on like you just got out the shower.... next time i am 150% insisting on an attatched garage that can share the aircon ! Comfort, no ruined crap..
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Mini split ac/heat units are your friend and the enemy of humidity. Cheaper than moving. :D
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I have a 1966 Fedders a/c unit in my shop that pretty much runs non stop from May thru September... Yes I said 1966. Best free deal I ever got!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

travis wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 am I threw out a bunch of stuff that just made me sick. Brand new B&M mega shifter (I always thought those was the coolest street car shifters) that I bought years ago but couldn't get it to work with the stock console in one of my old Nova's. It corroded into complete junk just from humidity. Boxes upon boxes of carbs and parts, brackets, bolts...you name it...corroded into junk.

I haven't even started on the cylinder head collection yet lol

FWIW...I tried for months to give a lot of these tools away. Nobody wanted them.
Younger friend of mine bought a older 4x4 truck and was just kinda getting into diy auto repair but had no tools. So I took the time to put together a nice tool kit out of old/cheap tools that didn't match the mostly one brand(I use to be more of a one brand tool snob), not the best tools but decent and I even gave him a tool box. Nothing I'd be afraid to loose but nothing I'd just toss either. Who knows where they are he don't, prob in a landfill or pawned for $5, if you give stuff away don't ask about it later. I'll still give stuff away, I like the thought of someone getting use out of it if it's not gonna get used by me.

Far as rust & corrosion, it can be pretty humid sometimes around here so I keep all my good/new parts inside until they get installed. After that I just have to accept they will degrade some and hopefully get some good use or I rem to treat/prep them.

Saw this meme earlier and reminded me of this post LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Lol!!! Sounds about right :lol:

I’ve kept enough of the cheap stuff that all of my kids have a starter set of tools. My 13 year old son got a serious upgrade for Christmas last year, but he is good about taking care of his tools. My 13 YO daughter couldn’t care less. My 10 YO son...is learning. He has a tendency to leave tools just wherever...we are working on that. And 1 of the two 9 YO’s is definitely interested in working on stuff, and so far has done really well taking care of his tools too.

I figure in another year or 2 we’ll be able to strip a car in about 2 hours :lol: