Cleaning out the garage...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: Cleaning out the garage...

Post by DCal »

Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 am Mini split ac/heat units are your friend and the enemy of humidity. Cheaper than moving. :D
X2 I'm in NC but was in La. and Al. during my Army stint and I think you have it worse but I learned from that. Two years ago I put in a Mr Cool split unit and there is no rust anymore. I've had a fresh machined block on the stand for 4 months and and it looks new.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

3 Mr cools for me. One big one in the shop and 2 in the home at opposite ends.
And for those that don't know, these are prefilled DIY units. No pros needed.
If you can read directions (shudder), handle a drill, screwdriver, crescent wrench and tape measure then you too can install one.
The instruction requirement is likely the most important. If you are better with visuals seek it out on youtube.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

DCal wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:56 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 am Mini split ac/heat units are your friend and the enemy of humidity. Cheaper than moving. :D
X2 I'm in NC but was in La. and Al. during my Army stint and I think you have it worse but I learned from that. Two years ago I put in a Mr Cool split unit and there is no rust anymore. I've had a fresh machined block on the stand for 4 months and and it looks new.

Haha fair point ..... black friday deals are coming up
my last garage had a window unit and was lined, epoxy floors, very luxurious.
This is my divorce garage..the complete opposite.
One income.. its tight.
However, like another suggestion here (no kids and now no woman to upset) one of my spare rooms was the “to be installed” parts storage, that room is now empty :D

the gable fan ive had sitting on the floor READY to install, for almost 3 years now :| might help..

Im from new zealand so this humidity thing is new to me..
Being a bodyworker for 20 years, rust is the bane of my existence.. that bastard is always one step ahead
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Welcome to paradise. Land of the kind of Free these days.
Virginia is beautiful country for the most part.
Going to stay?
Can you vote yet?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

travis wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:39 am... He has a tendency to leave tools just wherever...
A little while back my brother in law was helping his folks move from their home of many years to an apartment. When he started in on the basement, sitting on the vice right where he left it was the rattle can of silver paint he'd used on his Scuba tanks over thirty years before...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

MadBill wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 pm
travis wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:39 am... He has a tendency to leave tools just wherever...
A little while back my brother in law was helping his folks move from their home of many years to an apartment. When he started in on the basement, sitting on the vice right where he left it was the rattle can of silver paint he'd used on his Scuba tank over thirty years before...
I’m completely gun shy about leaving rattle cans sitting around...I have a dedicated storage cabinet for them now.

In 2004 I had bought a brand new Yamaha Big Bear 400 4 wheeler that I kept locked up in my big storage shed...along with about 20-30 rattle cans of various paints and primers. About 6 months after this big purchase, I went to go for a ride and when I got the 4 wheeler out in the sunlight, it was absolutely covered in this thick rusty looking crap. Apparently a can of red primer had burst and it hosed down EVERYTHING in my shed...lawn mowers, weed eater, chain saw, tires...everything.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I made a rule here when i started business, if the part is not to be reused in an engine and will be replaced, the old part goes back into the new parts packaging [all of it] and is returned to the owner, down to o rings, gaskets, fasteners, if i could send the carbon and dirt back i would, they can have everything .

I keep reasonable stock of all parts required for the type of engine i service so there is no waiting for parts or back order blues.

If a customer wants special parts, odd parts or combo, their job slides back in the job list till everything is here, if the job is going to be a time burner that too slides down the order till i combine some of it in with others of a similar type.
Or if the customer wants it in a shorter time frame ,i ask them if they are ok with me setting the clock and billing out per hour till its finished, that will include holdups, time shot messing with fiddly machining, detailed phone calls,everything. If they say yes, there will be a sizeable deposit required.

For all normal jobs i don't take deposits, but by the same token, i don't give credit either, all invoices are due on completion of work.

Although over the years i have returned stuff that probably would have been smart to keep, serviceable heads, cylinders and cranks have been needed over the years where a good second hand would have done the job and cost a lot less,, but then i would be back to the point i was when it was part time over thirty years ago, surrounded by second hand stuff looking for a home.

Cheers.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

travis wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:39 am Lol!!! Sounds about right :lol:

I’ve kept enough of the cheap stuff that all of my kids have a starter set of tools. My 13 year old son got a serious upgrade for Christmas last year, but he is good about taking care of his tools. My 13 YO daughter couldn’t care less. My 10 YO son...is learning. He has a tendency to leave tools just wherever...we are working on that. And 1 of the two 9 YO’s is definitely interested in working on stuff, and so far has done really well taking care of his tools too.

I figure in another year or 2 we’ll be able to strip a car in about 2 hours :lol:

Nascar pitcrew in training! I have an great uncle, he decided to have 7 kids at age 45, all boys, the running joke is he will have an entire defensive line for a football team. Hahaha
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Pardon my skepticism MsIbuki, but you come across as a spambot. Prove me wrong by posting something else somewhere. :?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

MadBill wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:50 pm Pardon my skepticism MsIbuki, but you come across as a spambot. Prove me wrong by posting something else somewhere. :?
if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck............ 8)
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

MadBill wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:50 pm Pardon my skepticism MsIbuki, but you come across as a spambot. Prove me wrong by posting something else somewhere. :?
Definitely spam
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

LOL, .com.au , so they are going to come over from Australia to clean your shop and entertain you with their good Engrish???
Too funny little spammers....
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Super_Stock wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 am LOL, .com.au , so they are going to come over from Australia to clean your shop and entertain you with their good Engrish???
Too funny little spammers....
I can dream, right? :lol: :lol:
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Ah yes, somewhere around 4pm Friday seems a favorite time for scam phone centers to strike, always on the landline, always with an subcontinent accent with a lot of chatter in the background,,, and as luck would have it around 4pm Fridays i am winding down a bit, running the broom around etc, got a bit of time on my hands for a chat.
I have a list of enthralling insults in hindi, look up " you are a snack fried in .............." or another oldie but a goodie
" i will hit you so hard with my ..............."
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Just hang them on the line as long as you can, until they work out what's going on and hang up on you...
Need my credit card details???? sure fine, just let me go find it!!! Then put the phone down and make a cup of coffee...