Edelbrock SBC Perf RPM - Any Good???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Edelbrock SBC Perf RPM - Any Good???

Post by David Vizard »

I have just finished porting a set of Edelbrock performer RPM heads for client. This gentleman bought these heads on a recommendation I had made over 20 years ago. However when I got the heads they didn't look a bit like I remembered them. To be honest I was a little apprehensive about getting any decent results from them. Can anyone tell me if the head castings have changed in the last 20 years or so. Also can I get some comments please on the flow test results shown below. Do they fall in line with what I could expect from these heads?

David Vizard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
73c34me

Re: Edelbrock SBC Perf RPM - Any Good???

Post by 73c34me »

Following this closely. My SBC edel. Performer RPM heads are about 20 years old (64cc) I have ported them til their thin and hav 2.05” intake valves.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

David Vizard wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:31 pm I have just finished porting a set of Edelbrock performer RPM heads for client. This gentleman bought these heads on a recommendation I had made over 20 years ago. However when I got the heads they didn't look a bit like I remembered them. To be honest I was a little apprehensive about getting any decent results from them. Can anyone tell me if the head castings have changed in the last 20 years or so. Also can I get some comments please on the flow test results shown below. Do they fall in line with what I could expect from these heads?

David Vizard
There are several different variations of the "Performer RPM" heads these days.

Over this summer I sold a 15 year old pair of original "Performer RPM" castings which I believe flowed about 250cfm @.500" on the intakes.

A few years ago got a pair of "Performer RPM" CENTERBOLT heads to port for a customer and they were not near the same intake port.
About 30 cfm less "out of the box".
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

I am traveling for business, I cant access my records. but I do recall some flow numbers on the intake for my Rpms. Also, I never had them flowed straight out of the box, so I don't have a baseline... Intake port measured a 185 cc fluid pour out of the box. After porting they are 193cc fluid pour

@28" 200" 300" 400" 500" 600" Intake with a 2.05" intake
134 199 239 252 262 cfm

I dont recall the exhaust exactly, but I believe it is very close to David's numbers
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

David. Would you be able to share the intake port measurements at the entrance, push and rod pinch? A gentleman on speed talk guided me on porting my heads,"Automotive Breath" I believe. I haven't seen him on here in a few years. He had great success with the Performer RPM heads with his preparation. Thnx. Jim
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

yes I can give you some dimensionl guidence here.

Port cc in 179 ex 72

Port entry 1.165X 2.0 - with corner rads factored in the CSA = 2.3 Sq Ins
MCSA 1.08 x 1.84 with .25 corner rads = 1.93 Sq Ins.

I have just finished a 1 hour youtube video. Lots of detail on the porting - includes port molds so you can better see what was done.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

Thank you for sharing details. It is interesting that your port volume is smaller. Seems like a different variation of the Performer RPM line. I recall being surprised that mine measured 185ish cc, when the heads were advertised as 170cc. THis would have been in 2000 or 2001. I actually called edelbrock and spoke with a tech. person. He said to return them and they would replace them with the 170 cc head. The machine shop I was using said not to do so, that the bigger volume would be better for my 385ci, so i did. Thank you again for posting and sharing. Jim
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Got a link for the video, David?
73c34me

Post by 73c34me »

refresh
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

A few years ago a 170cc version of the Performer RPM came out, which I believe was targeted at the small cube market. Two versions, HFT springs (61015), HR springs(61019).
They have 60cc chambers and come with 1.90/1.50 valves.

There is also the “Performer centerbolt” which is listed as 165cc, 60cc chamber, and 2.02/1.60 valves.

For the “normal” SBC heads, it appears that “E Street” and “Performer” heads have 185cc intake runners, and “Performer RPM” heads are now 195cc.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

RevTheory wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:04 pm Got a link for the video, David?
Rev,
Not yet but posting will b soon - mayby as little as 2 weeks.
DV
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

David, how is your recovery going, well I hope?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!