Cast iron heads, surface rust

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Cast iron heads, surface rust

Post by Bill Chase »

Any of you had decent results using a light solution of clr for rust removal on heads and blocks.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Re: Cast iron heads, surface rust

Post by lance flake »

I put a rusty block in a container with very minimal amount of clr mixed with water and it came out better than I expected. Doesn't compare to thermal clean and shot blast but it was useable.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Bill Chase wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:19 pm Any of you had decent results using a light solution of clr for rust removal on heads and blocks.
I use CLR for a lot of stuff like that. Works good while not being too crazy strong. Makes aluminum blocks and heads look much nicer also....usually. It can make freshly machined surfaces look a little funky if left on too long before rinsing or if in direct sun.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I was gonna say it has phosphoric acid which is a rust converter but after a quick google looks like maybe not anymore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_Lime_Rust
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

NAPA's Aluminum Brightener has a big dose of Phosphoric Acid.
Other brands similar
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

rebelyell wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 pm NAPA's Aluminum Brightener has a big dose of Phosphoric Acid.
Other brands similar
That's my next go-to after the CLR....but requires more caution than the CLR. I have had real good luck with it.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

lance flake wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:33 pm I put a rusty block in a container with very minimal amount of clr mixed with water and it came out better than I expected. Doesn't compare to thermal clean and shot blast but it was useable.
I just want to clean these heads up enough to mag and pressure test, if they pass that I will have them hot tanked.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:17 am
lance flake wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:33 pm I put a rusty block in a container with very minimal amount of clr mixed with water and it came out better than I expected. Doesn't compare to thermal clean and shot blast but it was useable.
I just want to clean these heads up enough to mag and pressure test, if they pass that I will have them hot tanked.
some DIY carwash pressure washers will let ya do greasy stuff; not all